Orange E3

That is such a shame..as always things can be fixed if you have the money but you have to balance it out vs the worth of the bike vs what it means to you.

For me that would be toast :(

Argh sorry for you mate,

Do you thnk the long sus forks and mega stack you ran was what killed it? Just thinking leverage forces at the distance from the head tube.

Hope you find another. Have a click on my link and you can see what I did when I owned johny666 frame set. Azaro ended up biying t back if you want to try and pursade it away from him. As Dossa said cantis a d amber walls... Although sinner man did throw in the idea of grey umma gummas.

Good luck with your hunting.

My Orange e3 Rebuild

Here's the update:

Replaced cracked frame with a 17" slightly younger model (think 1997 as no rear canti hanger??) from Attempted Mustache.
Replaced RC38s with period RC35s from justbackdated
Located crown race for my XT headset from GA Cycles (Soton) with help from jonnyboy666
Replaced heavily scratched oem seatpost with Thomson Elite from Andy B
Replaced heavily scratched XT Shifters with a set from stevebe
Purchased Orange saddle from eBay

The frame needs stripping down and a polish, but I'm a little nervous about attempting this so I've stalled at present :?

I like the orange decals but they need replacing with like for like so I'll be getting in touch with Gil M at some point for these.

I'm thinking blue and orange bling would compliment this nicely, as I have both colours in the saddle and the MXCD decals on forks. I have a set of Orange Wildgrippers to test out - but I may well opt to go with a more traditional black tread amber wall.

Still to be fitted - the remainder of the XT M739 groupset, Mavic 117 ceramic with hope ti glide and need to locate some nice looking grips to suit.

I'm pleased to have made a start on putting this favourite back together.

more to follow...

DSCF4901.jpg

DSCF4902.jpg

DSCF4903.jpg

DSCF4904.jpg

Re: My Orange e3 Rebuild...

When you say stripped down and finished...do mean the usual laqeur issue? if yes then look for Dossa's thread on reviving frames by removing laquer with tin foil...honest i jest you not

I am liking the direction though

sylus":1vbcz5te said:
When you say stripped down and finished...do mean the usual laqeur issue? if yes then look for Dossa's thread on reviving frames by removing laquer with tin foil...honest i jest you not

I am liking the direction though

Yes indeed - the usual lacquer issue is what I refer to. I must admit, I was highly sceptical when I saw your reference to tin foil, but having now read the aforementioned thread of Dossa's... I am itching to have a crack!!!

Continuing to side-step the inevitable strip and polish job, I have grabbed few bits of blue bling for the build. Matching brake & gear cables, ferrules, nipples and presta valve caps ordered and in transit - hopefully it won't look over the top once it all gets included.

Still on the lookout for a nice crankset to compliment this build - any suggestions? Obvious Middleburn option with blue spider although would want a decent colour match. I bought a set of Black LX cranks which I have stripped and mirror polished - could possibly send them off for annodizing so that is another option.

DSCF5007.jpg

DSCF5008.jpg

You are making better progress than me, but as usual Im trying to do too much in upgrading my Aluminium O with M900 at the same time as doing the E3 & P7
I will start rigid with the E3 using F9 forks but may change to Pace RC35 or 36 later
I managed to get some XT to Mavic 717 very nice wheels
Im still trying to decide on what groupset to run but have started to collect both M950 9 speed and some XT/XTR 8 speed, what about you?
I put out a Wanted for a 34.9mm front mech today
I will start my build thread in the next few days

E3's like buses none for ages then two come along!

I've made a point of putting everything else on hold until I've completed this one now - been juggling too many half finished projects for last few weeks. Got most of bits now. I like the sound of your wheels! I decided to keep the ones I bought the bike with for now: Hope Silver Hubs with Mavic 117 Ceramic SUP rims - some of the ceramic has worn away - a shame as they are really nice wheels.

I've got a mint XT groupset to go on here - already had most of it and it felt a better fit than XTR. I might have a spare 34.9 front mech lying around - I'll check.

I was after a replacement frame for a few weeks - I was offered that frame that you have snapped up - looked in really good nick - I just wanted something a little less finished so I could get my hands a bit dirty :LOL: But that was when I had planned on only getting the one bike - since then I've had upto 7 bikes at one time - managed to trim it back to 3 now.

I look forward to seeing your thread in motion!

My polish job so far...

Attachments

• DSCF5063.jpg
    DSCF5063.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 502
It does look good, how did you get it like that in the end? Tin Foil shiney side?

I got my P7 looking like that at the moment, just came back from C&G Finishes having been clear laquered as its nickel and will rust very quickly, no need to worry about that with the E3 :)
Im considering not putting on any graphics but will build up first and see how it looks

Let me know if you find a mech - ta

Back