macbook pro and iphone 5 advice please!

I've recently had this, my old MacBook was 10.5 and upgrading to 10.7 proved difficult due to not being able to find 10.6 (or some such) either way it was complex.

In the end I backed up my old 3GS to the cloud then the new iPhone 5 replicated all the data from there, to this date my 5 has still not been synced with my MacBook and it has not been a problem, the cloud fixes all. (I have just ordered a brand new i7 retina displays book pro though, so there may be some iphone5/MacBook hook ups soon)

stopped at the apple store this morning, sort of helpful, i have to buy snow leopard, install it just so i have the appstore thing, then download mountain lion, then install the newest version of itunes then the phone should connect and work fine.

i have managed to set up the icloud thing (with the new phone) which i hadn't used before on the old phone, i then backed up the old phone which took 2 hours, then i backed up the new phone which means i now have all my contacts but still no music because i have never put my music on icloud because OS10.5 doesn't have the icloud option.

confused yet? :roll:

I had a bootable DVD of snow leopard that I created to do a clean install of 10.7 on my MacBook Pro. If I can find it your welcome to use it as long as you send it back to me unless I can make a working copy of it.

Also, my MacBook Pro is on 10.7.5 with the latest version of iTunes sync'd with an iPhone 5 so you shouldn't need Mountain Lion 10.8 to get them all to talk to each other.

i've already ordered the disc, should be here tomorrow, i will try uploading the itunes update before i spend more on the mountain lion software first. no point getting something i don't need

thanks for the offer though :)

No worries :)

If you can, install Snow Leopard as a clean install rather than an upgrade, it will mean backing up everything in time machine first, but it keeps everything nice & tidy and won't slow the machine down. You shouldn't need Mountain Lion as long as all the latest software updates are carried out before trying to sync the iPhone ;)

jonnyboy666":2xjssmuf said:
i've already ordered the disc, should be here tomorrow, i will try uploading the itunes update before i spend more on the mountain lion software first. no point getting something i don't need

thanks for the offer though :)

Hmmm - possible you might run into the same problem again later when 10.9 comes out...

Snow leopard plus iTunes should do for the time-being anyway!

Tbh I always kept my mac fairly up to date os-wise. £20 or so is no-where as bad as a new copy of windows :LOL:

being honest i am far from a computer savvy person, so frankly i didn't know that anything new had come out simply because i don't go looking for it.

that said, this mac is about 2 1/2 years old, frankly i'll replace it when it starts to have issues or whatever, if i get another 2 years out of it that'll be fine, then i'll get a new mac and therefore new software by which time i'll be onto another phone!

no worries mate!

TBH it's not *all* that often this sort of thing happens with old versions becoming incompatible - my old G4 mac mini was OK until about 2 or 3 versions of the OS ago - quite a stretch for a old/cheap computer.

You can get around the whole *versions thing by installing from scratch, but somewhat tricky.

Back