DMR Trailstar - from zero to hero....

kermitgreenkona88":1uo2h0rg said:
Yes I did, he was a good guy to know :D

Thank you. Kind words.

But we better not hijack this thread.

If you have anything regarding my brother you wish to know/mention/discuss you can pm me.

Chris

Hi Chris/Kermit - thanks for the info. i'm 5"11, so maybe a longer seatpost and higher rise stem may be needed for me :)

i still fancy my chances making one. i only really need the frame and crankset. i have the rest :)

i love the trailstars! :)

twain":1ns8lsex said:
Hi Chris/Kermit - thanks for the info. i'm 5"11, so maybe a longer seatpost and higher rise stem may be needed for me :)

i still fancy my chances making one. i only really need the frame and crankset. i have the rest :)

i love the trailstars! :)

Good luck with your build. Glad I could be of some help.

Rob - As requested :cool:

DMRBlue03catalog_zps03a176f6.jpg

Thanks very much Mark. :-D

I understand that is one of the first adverts for the Trailstar, and I really like the blue colour. Nice to see that it has a powder coated finish which is what I'll be doing. I think that dark blue with the blue and white decals will look superb.

Glad it's of help :)

Mine had it's original powder coat that was so tough I decidEd to just flat it back and over spray it.

If they had built these in a larger size I would have kept mine. I found that despite it frame weight they can be built up to a sensible weight.

I have a eye out for one of their dedicated XC frames from the late 90s (name escapes me at the moment) but in the interim have gone with something a little different :)

Switchback! Theres one on ebay I most likely won't be buying,! Suppose it's a lesser posh Decade Versa. Would like one though.
I've yet to see how well my TS fits, I bought an 18" MK3 but it was Fugly and a duplicate of my best bike.
Nice pic of the original ad. Great to see the origins and the good old lateral sensible thinking of DMR, they just needed a longer version! :? :idea:

Switchback is the more XC one, yes. I can't stand those switchable dropout things like on the Decade Versa, look awful, heavier. Just decide what youre doing with a bike before you buy a frame!!!

They have made a Trailstar LT for longer travel forks but I think that's still in the one frame size again.

Switchback .... That was the frame.

The early/original ones were STD geared offerings.

I missed an early 20'' on eBay a while back.

So after a looooooong wait I've finally got hold of a period DMR Elite saddle. I've had a wanted ad up for ages but nothing was available. I don't think many were made and the ones that were used were probably on jump bikes so would have been wrecked a long time ago.
The guys at DMR came up trumps - they searched their warehouse and in a dusty corner found this!
null_zpsc7d07d99.jpg

Joel at Upgrade/DMR sold me the saddle today at a reasonable price considering it was top of their range BITD.

It's all coming together!

Don't know if I posted a pic of the tyres that are going on it, and if I have I don't care as they are gorgeous!

null_zpsdad773f0.jpg

Back