I need a welder and a chroming geezer in the South West...

scottmac

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
... and it's not for bike parts! :shock:

I'm looking for anyone whom can braze some tubes together (I'll cut them first) as I'm designing a prototype that will need lugs for steel tubes to be inserted.

They don't have to be filed after brazing (I'll do that).

When the lugs are complete I'll need them chromed. There will be about 16 to 20 lugs with three tubes attached at 90 degree angles. I need someone in the South West (hopefully near Crawley) that won't cost me the earth. :roll:

I'm not looking for a master framebuilder, just someone whom can braze properly! I've seen some quality crap at questionable prices!

Also, if anyone has experience of chroming, please reply. ;)

I gave up my oxy acetylene years ago, other wise I would be up for it.
ExataWeld in East Grinstead do a nice job, well they did 20 years ago.
You turn left before the bridge on the road into East Grinstead and they
are on the right down there. I altered a motorbike frame they had made, lovely welding[their's not mine;-)] I was impressed.
The welders on the way to Redhill Aerodrome are good.
There is a sheet metal place in Charlwood, in Valance Byways, I have seen some neat stuff there, no bronze welding but if you O/A weld you probably bronze weld as well.
Probably load of people about.
You could always do a welding course in Crawley tech and do them yourself.

Chroming. You could try Y&B plating, I think they send the chroming out to a plater in Portsmouth. I used to use Denne plating that were behind the grapes in Pease Pottage, I am told they moved to Bolney. There was a good chrome platers in Mitcham. There is another plater who does chrome in the estate, I was told about them when I asked around for someone to do some hard chrome.

on the chrome..try looking also in some classic car forums, they chrome the bugger out of stuff and may have some to reccomend near you?

I was going to mention Doug Taylor for the chrome, he's in the South West, but nowhere near Crawley.

By South West, I take it you mean South West London ;)

integerspin":h1p6tgvd said:
I gave up my oxy acetylene years ago, other wise I would be up for it.
ExataWeld in East Grinstead do a nice job, well they did 20 years ago.
You turn left before the bridge on the road into East Grinstead and they
are on the right down there. I altered a motorbike frame they had made, lovely welding[their's not mine;-)] I was impressed.
The welders on the way to Redhill Aerodrome are good.
There is a sheet metal place in Charlwood, in Valance Byways, I have seen some neat stuff there, no bronze welding but if you O/A weld you probably bronze weld as well.
Probably load of people about.
You could always do a welding course in Crawley tech and do them yourself.

Chroming. You could try Y&B plating, I think they send the chroming out to a plater in Portsmouth. I used to use Denne plating that were behind the grapes in Pease Pottage, I am told they moved to Bolney. There was a good chrome platers in Mitcham. There is another plater who does chrome in the estate, I was told about them when I asked around for someone to do some hard chrome.

Thanks for all the info. I'll try Exactweld in East Grinstead.

I was going to have a go myself, but I'm getting different reports on what gear I should get and the cost involved!

Re. chrome

I'll check 'em all out. Many thanks ;)

sylus":2le43kts said:
on the chrome..try looking also in some classic car forums, they chrome the bugger out of stuff and may have some to reccomend near you?

Classic car stuff costs too much. I got quoted £200 for two lugs FFS!!! :shock:

NeilM":1o11o13j said:
I was going to mention Doug Taylor for the chrome, he's in the South West, but nowhere near Crawley.

By South West, I take it you mean South West London ;)

London prices?

nope. :(

Re: I need a welder and a chroming geezer in the South West.

scottmac":2jqdt5g4 said:
I need someone in the South West (hopefully near Crawley) .......

He he. Tuned into this thread thinking it would be about welders in my manor! ;)

Regards

Back