Muddyfox Rock N Roll - Elastomer Help

soopahfly

Retro Newbie
Hi guys

A friend of mine has been given one of these complete :

0.jpg

but in red.

The rear suspension seems to have collapsed, does any of you guys know where he could find a replacement part?

I know on the proflex's sometimes they have used landrover suspension bushes which are cheap.

if you can take the existing ones off try and match them at your local car parts for a temporary/short term fix?

Muddy fox rock n roll elastomers

Hi there,
I too am looking for a solution to replace the rear elastomers on my muddy fox rock n roll. Can you give me any more information on the can creek thud buster elastomers. I have found out they are 32 mm in length and have an internal centre of 7mm which would need to be drilled out to 12mm.

The overall length of the elastomer including spacer from the muddy fox is 40mm.

Can you use a hack saw to cut down? Each elastomer needs to be 18mm long.
Therefore, two elastomers including spacer on each side to make up the 40mm length.

Anyone had success with this?

I do love this bike, had it for nearly 20 years. I have upgraded the stem, gears, brakes and brake levers

Re: Muddy fox rock n roll elastomers

Mufffyy":1nxidiqy said:
Hi there,
I too am looking for a solution to replace the rear elastomers on my muddy fox rock n roll. Can you give me any more information on the can creek thud buster elastomers. I have found out they are 32 mm in length and have an internal centre of 7mm which would need to be drilled out to 12mm.

The overall length of the elastomer including spacer from the muddy fox is 40mm.

Can you use a hack saw to cut down? Each elastomer needs to be 18mm long.
Therefore, two elastomers including spacer on each side to make up the 40mm length.

Anyone had success with this?

I do love this bike, had it for nearly 20 years. I have upgraded the stem, gears, brakes and brake levers
Hi, i'll try to explain in my poor english :'(
I drilled them out to the 12mm that you said. I used what we call a column drill, i don't know its name in english, see some pics here http://www.google.es/search?q=taladro+c ... 61&bih=553

I cut them with a good cutter ship carefully. I think you'll need a pair of bushes nevertheless.

I must repeat the operation for a proflex 550 that is in resto mode.

Cheers,
Miliu

Thanks for the reply miliu.

When you cut them what length in millimetres did you cut each one to? Including the spacer is the overall length 40mm?

Did you use a hand saw?

Hi Mufffyy

I'll try not to hi jack this thread.

I have no pics of the procedure I followed, it's a shame.

I think than an image is better than thousand words.
So I draw how a proflex suspension were made:
8411018640_73ca57037f_c.jpg

You can see how the cane creek thudbusters were fitted in my bike:
8134536459_c358a1020f_c.jpg

This is what I used to cut the bushes (similar than this)
1395-Professional-Metal-Cutter-18mm.png

I had some old bushes of proflex and started cutting a little bigger than the ones I had. If you need to get the shorter only have to cut a little more.
I wouldn't use a hand saw, the cut is cleaner with the tool I used.
Drilling the inner hole is a little more difficult, but not impossible.

Back