Building a vintage style fixie

mauricer

Senior Retro Guru
hi there,

i just finished my first bike (a Klein from 199:cool: for road use and think i want to build a fixie for the daily use but have little clue where to start, as the looks starts and ends with the frame. i like those oldschool track frames where the top tube sinks towards the head and would be very happy if anyone could recommend cool frames (and sizes as i am around 187 cm and not sure whether those frames have a different geometry and therefore different sizing?) and what is the best place to look for?

thanks

moritz

I know it sounds obvious but get one that will enable two brakes to be fitted. I have a fixed with front brake only and I have the sort of stopping distance normally only associated with oil tankers.

Iwasgoodonce":azs7ielw said:
I know it sounds obvious but get one that will enable two brakes to be fitted. I have a fixed with front brake only and I have the sort of stopping distance normally only associated with oil tankers.
You should be able to stop as quickly with just a front brake as with front and rear. The fastest you can decelerate is when the rear wheel is just on the point of lifting. At that point it has no traction, so no braking effect. If you can't lift the rear wheel with your front brake you need to find out what's wrong with your brake.

There can be other reasons for wanting a rear brake, but on a fixie I really don't think it's necessary.

mauricer":r2yzxjnz said:
i like those oldschool track frames where the top tube sinks towards the head and would be very happy if anyone could recommend cool frames (and sizes as i am around 187 cm and not sure whether those frames have a different geometry and therefore different sizing?) and what is the best place to look for?
Frames with a down-sloping top tube are often known as "funny bikes". They usually have a smaller front wheel (650c or 24"), which can be a bit impractical for general use as it means carrying two spare tubs. The position also tends to be pretty extreme. The best way to size is probably by effective top tube length

They're out of fashion (and no longer UCI legal) now so they come up for sale quite a bit. Ask around your local track or time trialling crowd if you have one.

"Boatdrinks" who has posted here a few times is selling one, though with vertical dropouts, so no good for fixing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0243409629

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There are 3 main routes; track frames, I've got 2 on the road, minimilist, quick, look brilliant, uncomfortable, more expensive. Converted road bike, this is my daily transport, forward facing dropouts, not flashy, easier to ride, practical or an older path bike, characterful, relaxed geometry, nice to ride, very comfortable, can be heavier.
Then it's decide if you want to build up, buying bits from e bay can be expensive. I bought my first as a whole bike, privately, via a web site and as I grew to like it gradually upgraded bits, (only the frame, BB and rear wheel are the origionals) but from then on I've bought 3 whole bikes (all now gone) or bought frames and build them up (all in the garage) I've been lucky and met some really nice guys who don't ride fixed anymore and sell on stuff, which I hoard and swap for builds.
Bottom line just do it, you'll love it.
If you want any help with anything specific, feel free to drop me a PM.

Back