Someone must know!

watchorn_luke

Dirt Disciple
Hi you guys, so I've got a old raleigh that I got for commuting but has tunned into a project. So far it's going well and will getting it respraid in the summer but for now I'm just getting the components. NOW! One of you guys should hope fully know if there is a campagnolo six speed rear derailleur or one that will work on a six speed bike freewheel? Hope you guys can help
Cheers :)

You will be friction shifting so any campag rear 6/7/8 speed mech should work. I think there may have been some cable pull differences between different levels of campag in the 7 speed era but I am not sure.

I use a triomphe rear mech with D/T shifters and the shifting is a fine as it ever going to be. To be honest shifting into the largest sprocket at the back is bit difficult and I have set the limit screws so that the to jockey wheel sit a fiar bit towards the spokes so it shifts but it works.

Thanks for the help :) I'm new to all this so sorry if I ask some silly Q's. on the fright side the DT shifter is smooth and the shifter on the left doesn't click but get stuck in like notches when it's in gear, so is it indexed?

Have you got the shifter the wrong way round? For the old campag shifters they were entriely friction. Not too sure want happened in the 8 speed era with ther D/t shifters but they still should be friction only for the front mech.

Oh right well I'm betting I can't use shimano with campy? I'm slowly trying to get most campy already have a crank and a front derailliur that are campy

Have you got the shifter the wrong way round? For the old campag shifters they were entriely friction. Not too sure want happened in the 8 speed era with there D/t shifters but they still should be friction only.

Oh right well I'm betting I can't use shimano with campy? I'm slowly trying to get most campy already have a crank and a front derailliur that are campy

If you have friction shifters why not use campag shifter with shimano mech or cassette. so long as you get enough rear mech movement which you will you will shift.

Well just inspected my bike this morning ad found I'm using shimano light action shifters and I can make them change from friction and indexed with a turn on the hoop thing :) so I should be able to use a campy rear deraliur if I have my shifters set to friction like you said. Cheers for the help

As a general rule of thumb any Campy friction shifter will work with any Campy rear mech on any 6 speed freewheel. If you want the gears to index that is an entirely different matter though - Campagnolo Syncro shifters have a removable toothed ring insert which is specific to how many sprockets (6, 7 and latterly 8 ) and which rear mech you are using. But the compatibility and accuracy of shift is limited to specific chain/freewheel combinations. More info can be found here -

http://www.tearsforgears.com/2007/11/sy ... inbow.html

As an aside all but the last Syncro II downtube shifters could be used as friction or indexed by turning the selector ring.

I know folks on here will have had good and bad experience with indexing Campagnolo components and will be able to suggest freewheel/chain combinations that work that might not necessarily appear on Campagnolo's list.

Latest posts

Back