Does this look right?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
My brake levers are not in line with the bars. They sort of swing out. I have very long fingers so I'm sure it'll be fine. There's nout wrong with the bars/levers, so is it:

1. I have the brake levers too far up the bars?
2. Its just the style of bars? (Cinelli Criteriums).
3. Old brake levers were styled differently?
4. Something else?

I have decided to not wrap the bars yet with my new weather resistant bar tape. I'm going to get some cheap cork tape and put that on to see if I like the ride as it is. (I have a sneaking thought that the bike will be too short) and also to try and get my eye in with this bar tape wrapping thing.

Attachments

• Bars.JPG
    Bars.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 636
They need to be lower down so the levers are on the vertical part of the bars. then the bars swung up a tad.....

Not my favourite style as I counld never get comfortable "on the tops"..

Shaun

Hi Mark

I think Shaun has it nailed. Bringing them down an 1" looks like it will pull them in. Funny there's so little info about lever position and yet it can make a huge difference to riding comfort. Although its in various bits for rebuilding I had my bike on a trainer for a few weeks and made a few minor tweeks, including the brake lever position. They've made quite a difference to comfort.

Nice Graham Weigh btw :)

:shock: Just looking again! I'm sure the levers are the wrong way around, swap the levers left to right so that the brake cable sits in the front groove of the bars.

It's the Cinelli 65 bars, you have to have the levers quite well down on them. I tried them with a pair of STI's and it was hopeless. I agree about the handing and swopping sides.

Well spotted Robbied they do appear to be around the wrong way....

Yes I've found the same with crit bars, the levers need to mounted slightly lower than normal so that they sit straight on the bar.

That'll explain the L and R on the levers then. I am a prannett of the direst hue. I'll still have to have the, a bit high due to my spavined shoulders.

Hi Mark, those levers look familiar :LOL:

as you've now realised: L=left, R=right :LOL:

If you need the levers high up then another bar is probably the best bet - the criterium has quite a large drop, and a long curve down to the drops, making high lever placement difficult. If you want to stick with cinelli, then try the giro d' italia (64-xx), the straight section in the middle is a lot longer, the drop is "straighter" when looking from the front, so it's quite easy to tilt them up a bit and also to move the levers up.

Any pics of the bike from the side?

Andy

Giro D'Italia would also be my choice, a very "square" bar with lots of different hand positions to shift weight (wrists and back for me) and as Foz says straight at the sides so easier to set higher :)

Shaun

Back