Central heating

Just get a normal drying rack. Covering the rare wont help the heating and will reduce efficiency as the heat just stays in the rare.

As for the condensing/conventional argument, boilers should be running as hot and flat out as possible, but you will find that condensing boilers will throttle back as they reach optimal running temp. After that its just a case of hitting the limit set by your room stat.

Isaac_AG":6z4zv5nc said:
lumos2000":6z4zv5nc said:
another thing to factor in would be all the bloddy washing i have on the raditors drying off as it wont stop bloddy raining grrr

We are fortunate enough to have a drier on pullies hanging from the ceiling in the back room, super for clothes drying in a centrally heated house, I don't think you can hang anything outside during winter can you?

Alison

The sun still comes out, the wind still blows.

...and it is fun to wrangle frozen sheets off the line!

Few things are more refreshing than pulling on a line-dried t-shirt on a winter morning :shock:

MikeD":ippnujtz said:
Few things are more refreshing than pulling on a line-dried t-shirt on a winter morning :shock:

Before it has had time to thaw out and uncrisp :shock:

I remember when we first bought a croft in the Highlands and we only stayed there at the weekends. No heating other than a Rayburn downstairs in the kitchen and a fireplace in the downstairs bedroom.

The place was so cold in winter we used to huddle in the kitchen making toasties in a Baby Belling until the Rayburn came up to heat.

The beds were damp and upstairs bedrooms freezing cold. We put electric blankets in the beds, but the rooms did not heat up before the Sunday, and we would leave again the Sunday night.

Character building. Used to go out to chop wood to get warm.

Saying that, there is nothing cosier than a peat fire in an old stone house.

Some folks don't know they are born.

You notice it in the hill, when someone starts to bitch about being cold/wet. They have never had to be out in poor weather, and have not learned that moaning does not get them back off the hill quicker or warm them up meantime. Same people will sit shivering in a bothy rather than get the fire going.

Most of us have it pretty comfy nowadays really.

highlandsflyer":gfhnx4s4 said:
I remember when we first bought a croft in the Highlands and we only stayed there at the weekends. No heating other than a Rayburn downstairs in the kitchen and a fireplace in the downstairs bedroom.

The place was so cold in winter we used to huddle in the kitchen making toasties in a Baby Belling until the Rayburn came up to heat.

The beds were damp and upstairs bedrooms freezing cold. We put electric blankets in the beds, but the rooms did not heat up before the Sunday, and we would leave again the Sunday night.

Character building. Used to go out to chop wood to get warm.

Saying that, there is nothing cosier than a peat fire in an old stone house.

Some folks don't know they are born.

You notice it in the hill, when someone starts to bitch about being cold/wet. They have never had to be out in poor weather, and have not learned that moaning does not get them back off the hill quicker or warm them up meantime. Same people will sit shivering in a bothy rather than get the fire going.

Most of us have it pretty comfy nowadays really.

I remember when I was a kid staying for some of the school holidays at my husbands family home, his mum did not have central heating plus she would not allow the water tank thermostat to be on very high so there was hardly any hot water, you'd get into a 2" cold bath in the depths of winter and then it would take you ages to warm up again by the fire, it was sooo cold :( I loved getting back home to deep super hot baths.

Alison

Not wishing to sound like a Python pastiche, but you were lucky to have a bath!

We had a tin bath, filled by multiple fillings of kettle water once the Rayburn was up to speed, augmented with electric boilings.

After a long day of croft work, you needed a bath more than ever.

Those experiences have informed my insistence on fully kitted out wet rooms in all my modern homes.

You cannot have too much heat and water pressure in a modern bathroom.

My old mans just got a log burner and its sent him weird, diffrent wood burns at diff temp blah blah hatchets log spliters blah blah I cant sit in the front room without passing out on the couch the rest of the house is freezing as he wont put the heating on and coals £18 a bag in Bpool just doesnt make sence to me?
Anyway I live in a appartment all electric heating and big windows to front the seal round the door just does not work??? bought some curtains(I know man buying curtains :? :? ) but do they work o yes no drafts now and the heater only has to be on half way now.

im very tempted to rip out my gas fire and put in a log burner, i hardly ever bother with the gas fire as it never really that cold but a wood burner would be nice. i would have done it by now but looking at the gas pipe it runs under the floorboards and the only way to get to it is by ripping up half the laminate floor :roll: ill stick to huddling up to my laptop i recon it kicks out about the same heat as the gas fire anyway

it could be pretty easy to disco that pipe by the meter . its never too much of a drama to get rid of a gas run. its putting one back thats the issue. i recommend wood burners to all my cons that have thier fires cut off. gas fires are on the whole inefficient and potentially unsafe.

Back