naming trails, a bit of a rant.

Chute55uk":jmdmz08l said:
"the devils underpants"

Quote of the week!

I will say that i do enjoy riding up hills as relatively although i am shit at it i am less so than my "vert/hucking" skilz.

TBH i just like to go out and ride.

1210tech":343cvt8x said:
Chute55uk":343cvt8x said:
1. retro is as welcome as a fart in a space suit at these places (trail centres)

You had me up to the statement above, I have taken both the Paces to trail centres around the UK and I never get any response other than admiration & respect from complete strangers, I've even been asked if I wanted to sell and also told never to sell and keep riding them ;)
well yes i take your point but taking a pace to a trail centre would be like taking an aston martin db4 to the golf club with the audi brigade, not a lot would be looking down on you. Ive only ever taken old fishers and the like and I have met nothing but snobbery but I digress.
I mentioned trail centres as the naming of trails seems to have evolved at the same time as the centres them selves. Do ski Pistes name the runs other than grading them by colour?
why has mountain biking changed into the equivalent of the 18 hole sunday golf round? just wondering and slightly off topic :D

Chute55uk":2ox3pmqr said:
why has mountain biking changed into the equivalent of the 18 hole sunday golf round? just wondering and slightly off topic :D

Because we all got older and some of us got wealthier....

Probably.

MikeD":1ug9h5of said:
My unfavourite is the trail in the Peak District that used to be known as "that rocky one down from Hope Cross" until the internet came along, and is now apparently "The Beast", presumably to lend it an aura of hazard and extremitude and machismo.

I now call it "Fluffy Kittens" in an attempt to redress the balance.

You mean the one we used to ride on fully rigid bikes, just slower.

dbmtb":18u24u4z said:
You mean the one we used to ride on fully rigid bikes, just slower.

Probably yes, although that description applies equally to nearly every trail ;)

lewis1641":10o8y0j8 said:
i agree in part that trail centres are killing mountain biking, but then that is possibly because they are better.

when i was a lad we used to go hunting for new places to ride, generally ended up around fields or small patches of single track in woodland. we loved it and i still ride those trails today. sadly many are really overgrown now, showing that they are just not getting used anymore, it is sad.

I blame the trail centres, a few hours in a car and you can have a really good ride on really well maintained trails.

i feel like i should hate them but they have definately got something right

'A few hours in the car' - that more or less says it all for me.

I have no issue with trail centres, for those who enjoy that type of thing. There are lots of swimmers who hesitate to get out into the sea or a loch too, and would rather the formality of a swimming pool.

For me, cycling is about going somewhere. Not going somewhere to cycle. I appreciate it is not always possible to head straight out from one's door into the wild blue yonder, but it seems many are taking long trips to ride trail centres when they have local trails that would suit cross country cycling much better.

Oh, I forgot how boring most seem to find cross country cycling! Everyone wants to get rad and gnarly to the max.

That, if anything, is the big change in mountain biking in the UK. It used to be cross country cycling. Now for many it is all about the gear. Just like those folks you see down the climbing wall all the time who never seem to make it to the hills.

Oh well!

I'm trying to find a concise phrase that sums up my feelings, it's probably

'It's not what you ride it's how you ride it'

We have a trail near us of about 17km (it isn't called anything ;)), if I want to ride it as fast and as 'big' as possible then I'll go for the full suss and stormtropper look, if I want to take it easy and do it in a more technical way then it's the Rocky Ridge (or Lava Dome now), keepads and piss pot and nice and easy and going around the bits that are impractical to do on a rigid bike, in fact it's often a bigger feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment after a descent with the Marin.

The trail centre full kit brigade....well it's a lot like this site, there are people on here who have beautiful bikes that will never get ridden just polished but whatever floats your boat and if you're happy then who is anyone to judge.

Although I will agree doing a 500m easy trail in total clobber and full face is a bit overkill and makes you look a tit, just like riding in the car park bouncing up and down to 'test' your suspension.

The snobbiest riders I have ever met are Italian and French roadies, I would cheerfully feed the lot through a woodchipper.

Edit: to all those who sneer at uplifts, there is no way on earth I'm riding 17km on tarmac uphill on a downhill bike. Also we have ski lits ;)

If it's only 500m push the bastard or a least try to ride.

B77":2n057w14 said:
I'm trying to find a concise phrase that sums up my feelings, it's probably

'It's not what you ride it's how you ride it'

We have a trail near us of about 17km (it isn't called anything ;)), if I want to ride it as fast and as 'big' as possible then I'll go for the full suss and stormtropper look, if I want to take it easy and do it in a more technical way then it's the Rocky Ridge (or Lava Dome now), keepads and piss pot and nice and easy and going around the bits that are impractical to do on a rigid bike, in fact it's often a bigger feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment after a descent with the Marin.

The trail centre full kit brigade....well it's a lot like this site, there are people on here who have beautiful bikes that will never get ridden just polished but whatever floats your boat and if you're happy then who is anyone to judge.

Although I will agree doing a 500m easy trail in total clobber and full face is a bit overkill and makes you look a tit, just like riding in the car park bouncing up and down to 'test' your suspension.

The snobbiest riders I have ever met are Italian and French roadies, I would cheerfully feed the lot through a woodchipper.

Edit: to all those who sneer at uplifts, there is no way on earth I'm riding 17km on tarmac uphill on a downhill bike. Also we have ski lits ;)

If it's only 500m push the bastard or a least try to ride.

You won't like this then...
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/294883/

Back