Ben from Nooo Zeeeland

bennz

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I'm Ben from New Zealand. Started MTBing in about '88 on a Kalahari record but quickly went thru a few bikes - KHS Montana pro and DB Apex. Went overseas in 93 and ended up at yellow jersey Camden where I got Greg (Fuquay) to build me a lovely custom frame which is still going strong. Other than that I've got a 70's raleigh road bike (the orange ones - 531) which is now kind of a cross bike. A late 80's 653 (like the white pearlescent ones Fignon rode) that has been resprayed as a TVM Gazelle and also a late 90's Bianchi TSX-UL which hardly ever sees the light of day.

My buddy Derek however is a freak - I'll try and get him to post his incredible list of retro off road bikes here

Welcome aboard dude...it's good to see more Kiwis and Aussies on the forum!

Rich

Yeah man, I get lonely on here during the Aussie Working Hours! :cry:

Could do with some more SydneySiders on this Forum too.. My Northern Beaches cycling mates just laugh when I talk about scouring Ebay for Disk Drives and Thumbies! Diff'rent kinda riding here.. :roll:

Hahha! They just don't appreciate the good stuff.
I still want a disc drive, even if I only leave it on the chimey.

But... Welcome here from the other side of the world. Could it be further away?

Too true mate! One mate looked at ym RetroSteed and said, "Bontrager? Did they make bikes?" :shock:

Did you see that Disk Drive on Ebay.com? It's under the Auction Watch.. NOS unbuilt.. Bet it goes for quite a bit tho :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yep I noticed. Looks still good.

Btw I'm on a dutch forum and there they aske me why I bought the old buch of XTR parts on my bike.
Old??? It's a M952 XTR group. Why wouldn't that work?
Because there is a new group, the old group is history and doesn't work anymore.
They all say there, you can't ride with a fork with less than 5 cm of travel.
I can remeber Tomac, Herbold, King and the whole buch hammering down trails with a Rock Shox Judy DH (2 inch travel) and cantilever brakes. And it worked.
:D

.. and Steve Peat beating the times of soft tails on a Kona with rigid forks and 1.5 specialized hardpack tyres.

Advances in technology = Fashion and the ability to make components cheaper.

Back