RTS rocker bearing stuck HELP

stu76

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Whilst changing the bearings in my RTS rocker, two of the races got left behind and are proving are nightmare to remove. I got one of them out using heat and knocking out from the other side but the other is well and truly stuck.

Anyone any ideas?

8352341911_df3d7026ed.jpg

8353404418_a5c491067b.jpg

mtbdave":37pejsb6 said:
Yep
Think I have a spare but am on hols till end of the month if you can wait that long?

Ditto will have a spare for you shortly.

To actually get the bearing out I'd get a snug fitting socket in there, and support the underneath with a socket that the bearing just fits into and go to town with a press (big hammer).

Before you replace the rebuilt rocker into the frame make sure that the frame lugs don't have to be bend too much to clamp the centre bearing otherwise they'll crack, normally they're too wide and the answer is to get new top hats made or add washers as appropriate to pack it all out.

HTH.

If you can't get use of a press, try the small snug fitting socket, along with one just big enough to support the rocker outside the bearing shell on the other side, and carefully press it out in a vise.

Thanks for the replies and advice.

I dont think I can press it out as such as there is a locating lip in the middle of the rocker which would prevent it being pushed out from the other side. I cant get behind the race at all which is the main problem.

mtbdave and gtRTSdh, if you have a spare that would be great, if you could PM me when available and we can sort something out.

gtRTSdh - Yeah, The lugs were cracked on the BB when I got the frame. I've since had it re-welded and it seems to be holding up OK.

Cheers

Stu

stu76":kawhx3yg said:
Thanks for the replies and advice.

I dont think I can press it out as such as there is a locating lip in the middle of the rocker which would prevent it being pushed out from the other side. I cant get behind the race at all which is the main problem.

Cheers

Stu

Hey Stu,

It's been a while since I rebuilt mine so I had forgotton about that. In the short term it would be possible to split the ring of the bearing with a grinding attachment on a dremel and then it should come out a little section at a time. Will be in touch regards the rocker, when it arrives.

Alex

Well, it took a while but it's finally back how it shoud be, complete with new bearings and not looking too worse for wear from the ordeal.

Big thanks for all the advice and especially gtRTSdh for the offer of a spare and Chute55uk for getting the old race out with a CNC machine no less!

Just need to re-assemble back into the frame and then see if the play has disappeared which started the job off in the first place. Fingers crossed :roll:

Stu

8542736836_22e199835a.jpg

looks like you got it sorted, few marks on it though I also have a mint spare if you need it,

cheers
Gregg

Back