Degreaser Query and Freewheel Quandry

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Mornin' all,

I am almost finished my Rapide rebuild -

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228672

and have had to tinker with a few bits today - new gear cable outer as the original had been shortened and one i received from a generous RBer (thanks Dan) was a little short - it is the small things that seem to cause the worst delays.

I used degreaser which i bought from Halfords in an aerosol tin and it worked really well but i was wondering which degreaser would be the best for bathing bits in? Spraying enough to bathe bits seems excessive and expensive. I have read about some form of citric/citrus degreaser which is eco-friendly and i wondered if anyone has used this type before. I can't see how it is eco-friendly as it would contain the non eco-friendly bits once it has been used but i will not worry about that!

Also, i have noticed an odd noise from the freewheel - this is difficult to explain - as the wheel rotates in freewheel mode i hear the normal 'clicking' sound but it is not a constant sound - it comes and goes, loud then quiet. I degreased the freewheel and washed it out during the build, i then placed a substantial amount of light oil in the gap inside it and rotated it with the wheel horizontal to allow it to spread. Have i missed something? It does not annoy me and i presume it would not be that noticeable when the bike is ridden but my concern is that something is not lubricated etc and i would like to avoid any damage being caused.

Any ideas or should i leave it alone?

Thanks all from a cold, sleety Norn Iron,

Richard

It sounds like one of the three paws inside it sticking down.Could be a worn spring.
With regards stripping it down .Fiddly job..Try a very light oil.ie sewing machine type.Works best with the block off the wheel.

Thanks Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, dear old .....

Any opinions on the degreaser, Professor Yaffel (no idea of correct spelling), Gabriel, Madaleine, Emily or the mice might know.

^^ i hurt my head remembering that!!!

Richard

I use the Halfords Bike Hut citrus degreaser. I think it comes in a 500ml bottle and I got mine when they had a 3 for 2 offer. I rate it and use it in a bowl and also in my chain cleaner. In the cleaner it is prone to a lot of foaming. I'm sure parafin/white spirit will work just as well but the citrus stuff is so much nicer to use.

Assuming the chain isn't too filthy, (mine generally is), I find that the degreaser that has been in the chain cleaner has enough about it to attack the cassette as well. I carefully pour it on from the cleaner avoiding the top of the cassette body as much as possible. A good scrub with my gear brush and a watering can rinse sees off most road/oil grime.

I am interested in using it on mechs and cassettes/freewheels - i have no spare chains at the moment - well one but it is brown!!

I always used petrol for chains, be interested to compare the cost of petrol to degreaser!

The spray stuff is excellent but expensive and i seem to use a lot/too much of it - although i have no patience as i want to get to use the Autosol as quick as i can.

Thanks for the input.

Richard

TGR":ip16vvul said:
Mornin' all,

I used degreaser which i bought from Halfords in an aerosol tin and it worked really well but i was wondering which degreaser would be the best for bathing bits in? Spraying enough to bathe bits seems excessive and expensive. I have read about some form of citric/citrus degreaser which is eco-friendly and i wondered if anyone has used this type before. I can't see how it is eco-friendly as it would contain the non eco-friendly bits once it has been used but i will not worry about that!

For bathing components, cassettes and chains, I've used 'Gunk Green' (Eco Friendly) engine degreaser available from Halfords and the non-eco friendly version (in a red can). I have to say the regular version does a much better job but the fumes, like petrol are pretty strong

I keep an old Lyle's Golden Syrup tin full of the stuff for swilling chains in and a larger steel can full of the same degreaser for parts. The old oily sediment sinks to the bottom of can so can be reused for many months before having to dispose of it. The plus side to this, is that you can then take the spent cans with contents to the refuse centre where they can dispose of them properly as I'm pretty sure this stuff is too toxic to the environment to be poured down any drains (even once diluted).

It is around 6GBPs if I remember correctly for a 1 litre

Back