Swinnerton, but what is it...?

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I picked up three bikes during a garage clearout this morning and I'd really like to find out more about them.

The second one is this Swinnerton.
The owner reckons this was built around the late 80s or early 90s. The frame number is RS - 167 - GL, which I assume denotes Roy Swinnerton and Graham Longstaff who built frames under the Swinnerton brand.
It'd good to confirm this and I'd like to know what year it would've been built...

Again I'm not sure how many of the components are original or period correct due to the paucity of my road bike knowledge.

I'd really appreciate as much information as possible about this bike and the components.
Thanks in advance...

swinnerton01.jpg

swinnerton02.jpg

swinnerton03.jpg

swinnerton04.jpg

swinnerton05.jpg

swinnerton06.jpg

swinnerton07.jpg

swinnerton08.jpg

swinnerton09.jpg

swinnerton10.jpg

swinnerton11.jpg

swinnerton12.jpg

swinnerton13.jpg

swinnerton14.jpg

swinnerton15.jpg

swinnerton16.jpg

swinnerton17.jpg

swinnerton18.jpg

swinnerton19.jpg

swinnerton20.jpg

swinnerton21.jpg

swinnerton22.jpg

swinnerton23.jpg

swinnerton24.jpg

swinnerton25.jpg

Lucky sod!

Campagnolo Victory or Triomphe chainset (I forget which is which), mavic mechs, Campagnolo Nuovo Record f.mech? Frame looks mid eighties again but definitely a parts bin special. Simplex Retrofriction shifters - very nice and super smooth, one of the best friction levers I've used.

What I used to find around my way was a lot of club bikes built out of hand me down parts - and this looks a classic, later parts on an earlier frame as bit wore out or were acquired.

Yep, ball scratching rear cable run over the top tube and under BB guides marks it out as an 80's frame. Some nice bits typical of a club bike upgraded over the years, either bought bits new or hand-me-down from richer riders selling their used kit on..........

Shaun

Now that's the kind of garage clear out I'd love to find :)

I've seen the Mercian but can't find number 3?

I used to live in Macc, about the time The Macc Lads were at their peak.......No sheep til Buxton......Sweaty Betty, She wore big knickers and she worked at the sewage farm. Got my hands down her jeans and I nearly lost half ..... :LOL:

All the ale, beer and pies haven't done much for my memory, but I'm sure I remember some kind of connection between Swinnerton and Macclesfield :?

Looking at the Reynolds 531 logo I'd say early to mid-eighties: http://www.hlloydcycles.com/531 history.pdf

BITD you tended not to buy a complete groupset, but buy bits and pieces and use what you already had off your previous best bike. That's why many older frames can be a bit of a Heinz 57 component wise.

As the man said, you've got yourself a hell of a barn find there. Are they keepers or are you going to sell them on ?

Robbied196":pkv16irp said:
All the ale, beer and pies haven't done much for my memory, but I'm sure I remember some kind of connection between Swinnerton and Macclesfield :?
The Macc Lads and Mr Methane are two of Macclesfield's greatest gifts to the world. Swinnerton however are based just down the road in Stoke on Trent, so still pretty local.

Robbied196":pkv16irp said:
I've seen the Mercian but can't find number 3?
The third bike is a 1995 Marin Pine Mountain. All original spec and in great condition. I already know enough about that one to not have to ask a load of questions about it. Also picked up a load of tyres and various parts.
A great find indeed.

vivelesalpes":pkv16irp said:
Are they keepers or are you going to sell them on ?
No plans at this stage to sell anything just yet. I want to try riding everything properly before I start thinking about thinning out the fleet.

That said with these three bringing my bike collection perilously close to 40, then I guess that selling a few bikes on will become inevitable.

drystonepaul":azv77z6p said:
The Macc Lads and Mr Methane are two of Macclesfield's greatest gifts to the world. Swinnerton however are based just down the road in Stoke on Trent, so still pretty local.

I used to live round the corner from Ian Curtis of Joy Division, now there was a band :)

Thinking some more, Reg Harris used to have his shop in Macc, there's more than likely a connection between him and Roy Swinnerton. Not that any of this helps ID your bike, just thinking out loud :)

Back