Central heating

It is the rate at which it dissipates that is the issue.

Our old house up north had thick stone walls and some single glazing.

Once the place was up to heat it was very warm, but used a lot of energy maintaining that.

This place is not much smaller, but it has superb insulation. It takes very little to maintain once up to temperature, which my wife likes kept at around 24 in the communal areas and 20 odd in the bedrooms. A few fridge freezers, computers and TVs seems to be enough to keep it on the boil.

Jesus mate. 20 on average should be more than comfy. 24 is oldies temps. Ideally, as mentioned aim for a constant 17/18 degrees for optimum comfort/efficiency.

And remote access for the hating can help those with troublesome partners :LOL:

Depends how you live.

I used to live in Scandinavia, and it is the norm to keep indoors toasty warm, wearing T and shorts indoors.

My wife likes to set up at those temps. I don't leave it at that, I am happy anywhere from 16-22 and would rather throw a wetsuit on to warm up.

We don't have a temperature control or timer on ours, it's coal fired so we just keep throwing on the coal and keep the pantry and laundry room doors shut, as they are the coldest, and hope the radiators pump out enough heat to keep us snug, it's not doing to badly.

Alison

being country folk we just throw another peasant on the fire...(we ran out of wicker for the burning rituals )...

Isaac_AG":19xfk69u said:
We don't have a temperature control or timer on ours, it's coal fired so we just keep throwing on the coal and keep the pantry and laundry room doors shut, as they are the coldest, and hope the radiators pump out enough heat to keep us snug, it's not doing to badly.

Alison

wow, this take me back! my parents had a coal fired boiler - i remember emptying out the anthracite and going to the coal shed for some more. no timers,no thermostat, just warm or cold! :) simpler times :D

Another factor is what type of boiler you have, if you have a condensing boiler its maybe more efficient to run at a lower temperature which would necessitate keeping the C/H on all the time to maintain a heat.

another thing to factor in would be all the bloddy washing i have on the raditors drying off as it wont stop bloddy raining grrr

lumos2000":2whyp5cg said:
another thing to factor in would be all the bloddy washing i have on the raditors drying off as it wont stop bloddy raining grrr

We are fortunate enough to have a drier on pullies hanging from the ceiling in the back room, super for clothes drying in a centrally heated house, I don't think you can hang anything outside during winter can you?

Alison

Back