Bringing a Pre-War frame into the 20th century.

petitpal":5a98kspg said:
When you look at pics of Elgin's though, and that era, the bars do fit it's heritage quite nicely
True, I just don't like the extra v-bar. But it certainly does not look out of place.
I'm interested in how it will ride too, once the headset is fitted.

Bram J":3o1fkrna said:
petitpal":3o1fkrna said:
When you look at pics of Elgin's though, and that era, the bars do fit it's heritage quite nicely
True, I just don't like the extra v-bar. But it certainly does not look out of place.

I know what you mean - I was a bit unsure at first, but it's grown on me - like it now. Like you say - interested how it will ride now and how it will stand up to a bit of abuse. :)

I like this.... but can't help thinking a SID fork is a bit out of place....doesn't look like a race bike! ;-) ...it's looks good but something like a Pike or Revelation or even a Magura fork may have suited the bike better.

It'll bloomin fly downhill, thats for sure!

petitpal":1iq2ne5k said:
Bram J":1iq2ne5k said:
petitpal":1iq2ne5k said:

I know what you mean - I was a bit unsure at first, but it's grown on me - like it now. Like you say - interested how it will ride now and how it will stand up to a bit of abuse. :)

Abuse is exactly what it needs. :twisted: :D

Rob Atkin":3kfxs64q said:
I like this.... but can't help thinking a SID fork is a bit out of place....doesn't look like a race bike! ;-) ...it's looks good but something like a Pike or Revelation or even a Magura fork may have suited the bike better.

It'll bloomin fly downhill, thats for sure!
I had a choice of forks between a 2011 Fox F-100 or the Sid. I went with the Sid for the axle to crown height. I didn't want the headangle too slack. That plus it keeps the weight down on an already heavy bike. A Pike or any fork over 100mm would make this horrible to ride.

Plus, I got this fork in a trade for an old Tioga Tension disk so it was almost free. The only parts I bought for this bike are the bars and the crank. Everything else was sourced from bikes I bought and parted out.

I love it when I find a thread like this and I'm able to read it from the start all the way through the build. Respect for showing us your learning process. I for one really feel inspired now to attempt something similar myself. Need to have a read about brazing techniques.

This is an amazing build I am in awe of your creativity.

One thing that does confuse me is this comment

sandmangts":3bx2zywt said:
I got it mocked up today so I could work out the cable routing. Only then did I realize the brakes were set up as lefty rear and righty front. Gonna chang that for sure

I personally and I also thought most people set up their brakes this way.

right=front brake
left=rear brake.

Have you swapped them around?

jujupunk":9hkihyqr said:
I love it when I find a thread like this and I'm able to read it from the start all the way through the build. Respect for showing us your learning process. I for one really feel inspired now to attempt something similar myself. Need to have a read about brazing techniques.

This is an amazing build I am in awe of your creativity.

One thing that does confuse me is this comment

sandmangts":9hkihyqr said:
I got it mocked up today so I could work out the cable routing. Only then did I realize the brakes were set up as lefty rear and righty front. Gonna chang that for sure

I personally and I also thought most people set up their brakes this way.

right=front brake
left=rear brake.

Have you swapped them around?

I believe I know the answer to this. In the US, they have it the other way round. I believe this is due to turning left on the road (crossing traffic), you want your hand on the rear brake while signalling. While here in the UK we have this issue when turning right. Like left hand drive cars.

A fair point, but riding off road I'd much rather my right hand, my strongest hand pulling the brake I'd use the most, being the front.

Must be a yank thing. Hopefully he'll enlighten us :cool:

WOW, a proper build that looks amazing. I love what you have done to the frame and how the bike has turned out.

You going to get some better pictures of it?

Latest posts

Back