Mercian, but what is it...?

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I picked up three bikes during a garage clearout this morning and I'd really like to find out more about them.

The first one is this Mercian.
The owner said it was a touring frame that was resprayed by Mercian a few years ago, hence the 'Reynolds 531 Renovated' frame decal.
The frame number is 34084 1 which from my brief research suggests it was built in 1984.

I'm not sure how many of the components are original or period correct for the frame as my knowledge of road stuff isn't very good.

So from the following images I'd really appreciate as much information as possible.
Thanks in advance...

mercian01.jpg

mercian02.jpg

mercian03.jpg

mercian04.jpg

mercian05.jpg

mercian06.jpg

mercian07.jpg

mercian09.jpg

mercian10.jpg

mercian11.jpg

mercian12.jpg

mercian13.jpg

mercian14.jpg

mercian15.jpg

mercian16.jpg

mercian17.jpg

Looks like a much loved and upgraded bike put aside and forgotten about.

Cranks and f.mech are very likely original with some sort of mid life upgrade to the shifters and brakes.

As for Mercian, it appears to be identical to a 1984 Mercian I restored a couple of years ago - no model name just Campagnolo Nuovo Record PAT 84 parts removed and up/downgraded to Shimano Tiagra...

(not by choice)

Nice find.

And in my size if you get bored!

I think it maybe their Campionissimo model.
This was their starter frame set,and it was the first model i purchase back in the 1970,s
Did 1000's of miles on mine.

If you e mail a picture to their shop they will tell which and maybe who built it.{include the frame number}

nice bit of lug lining there paul,and is the tiny packer /washer on the rear mech lever to pull more cable ? or is the hole to big ?

matthew71":1wb11nqn said:
nice bit of lug lining there paul,and is the tiny packer /washer on the rear mech lever to pull more cable ? or is the hole to big ?
Not sure what you are referring to there...?

drystonepaul":12tklf43 said:
matthew71":12tklf43 said:
Not sure what you are referring to there...?

the one on the rear mech shifter

Attachments

• mercian15.jpg
    mercian15.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 737
The cable end stop looks a bit big to fit into the recess in the lever.....looks like a "quick fix" :)

Mercians were always well made, seemed to use slightly thinner rear stays which always made their frames look very delicate..... :)

Shaun

Back