Might anyone be able to help with a snapped bolt?

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi All,

I have a pair of Marzochhi forks with the removable brace.

Sadly one of the bolts rounded out so badly I had no option but to cut the head odd.

This has left me with about 5-7mm of thread in the body of the fork with no means of purchase :roll:

I have cut a groove into the thread but even then I cannot get any purchase on it with a screw driver. :evil: :evil:

I think the only way would be to drill out the bolt and maybe re tap - sadly I don't have the bits for this.

Can anyone help if I sent them the leg?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

First try an easy out, depending on the bolt dia, a hole will be drilled into the bolt (I'd recommend using a left hand drill bit if available as this alone may work the threa out, if not...) then use the appropriate size easy out. Easy outs are prone to snapping if not used correctly especially the smaller sized ones. And they can be very tough to drill through.

Failing that drilling and re threading to the next size up may be an option but depending on theatrical where the hole is situated, a helix oil may be recommended.

I have taps and drills but don't at the moment have smaller easy outs (snapped ;) ) and also prefer to do smaller thread sizes in a more controlable drill set up to ensure the drill is coaxial to the fixing etc. which I don't currently have available to me, however I hope the advice is useful.

If I could get away with it not re tapping up a size would be great. I think if this happened I would have to drill the brace too.

Will see if I can hunt out an easy out bit ....

A good local engineering firm will have them, they might just let you use them for free, on site. Or they might just do it for a small fee.

Just a thought

Use the corner of a screwdriver and whack it round with a hammer. Dig the corner of the screw driver in (to the slot now i guess).

an engineering place near me removed the broken bolt from my throttle clamp the bolt was m4 he drilled it out an inserted a time sert into the hole
(google timesert they work very well)

the clamp has 2 bolts now when just the new bolt is tightened it clamps fully to the bar an doesnt move its alot stronger than the standard bolts

whats your location
if all else fails i dont mind taking down there for you :cool:

Charlieboy28":m1vymvnd said:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set/18643

my problem with these is this

Simply drill a pilot hole in the broken fixing and screw in the LH threaded extractor for easy removal of broken screws and bolts.

has anyone ever "simply" drilled a pilot hole in a screw? its bloody difficult and youll need a decent drill bit to start with, youll probley end up slipping and damaging the surounding material, well i do anyway. the Grabits are much better

lumos2000":2b2q1l8c said:
has anyone ever "simply" drilled a pilot hole in a screw? its bloody difficult and youll need a decent drill bit to start with, youll probley end up slipping and damaging the surounding material, well i do anyway. the Grabits are much better

Piece of piss, do it all the time, decent bits are a must as are a centre punched 'stump'

I also have issue with them though. They are prone to snapping, leaving you with an undrillable mess. I prefer to drill out to standard tap size, then chase the remaining threads out with a proper tap. Easier if you can get the item on the bed of a drill press or even better a mill.

Back