2013 Retrobike Downhill race/meet you say??? :)

I'd second Innerleithen golf course track, I can have a scout in the next little while, from what I remember it's steep in parts (and there is a rooty tree tunnel near the end...)

drystonepaul":erpsv6l9 said:
I'm not really sure why people are suggesting such relatively recent dates.
I absolutely agree come on guys get with the program :?
What about '99' being the cut off point?

On second thoughts why not just follow the RB categories, For Sale 1998 -->

So pre '98' :?

Sounds like a right laugh, so be up for it depending on dates and location.

'94 Clockwork singlespeed with RC-35's should do the trick! Anyone got a 60t ring that I could bolt on it?

ChrisBrown81":3de54tb7 said:
nevadasmith":3de54tb7 said:
velomaniac":3de54tb7 said:
I tried to create the MacKlunker up here in Scotland using the old Innerleithen DH track behind the golf course on the north side of the town.
Starts by an old concrete water tank on the moor at the top of the hill and descends to the bottom via a bit of single track and lots of timber road.

Sounds ideal :cool:

How about sticking with how it was done BITD and adding it as 'dual slalom' eliminator into a RB national ride some time - some flag poles and a grass hill is all thats required and the heckling/abuse can be hurled down the whole route!!

Dave I wonder if there is a suitable hill in them there cotswolds..... :?

I think adding it onto the end of a ride is something that could be done as well as seperate downhill day/event/meet. If done right this warrants a full day.. Hopefully we'll see a great mix of bikes from fully rigid with cantis to a LTS-DH with 5 inch each end...a big ride first might put off the LTS owner and we end up with a slalom on XC bikes with riders who've put their best work in, in the morning and have nothing in the tank for the afternoon. Just my thoughts...don't want to sound like I'm putting a dampner on anything! :s

Yeah they'd be different events alright, the dual slalom thing would be just like it was from what I can remember - short course, just the same bike as you rode the xc race on, maybe with the saddle down - a bit of a laugh more than anything else :D

The full on DH day would be a different beast - both in terms of content and organising - done right and it will be awesome :cool:

daj":18l6bsnp said:
I agree either could work , there has been loads of interest so really what it needs rather than discussing Categories etc.

1, A leader or group to bring the idea to actually happen
2, A venue
3, A date that does not clash with regional or national dates.
It's also worth mentioning that racing on bridleways is illegal. Racing can be allowed on footpaths and byways with the necessary permissions and authorisations in place.
Not sure what the situation would be at trail centres but I assume that consent from the landowner would also be required.
There are other private venues which could be worth investigating.

It's this legislation that saw the end of local XC racing and the rise of the Enduro event, which isn't categorised as racing.

There's a bit more info here: --> http://imba.org.uk/public-rights-of-way ... ridleways/

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade here, but if it is to happen under the Retrobike banner then it'll have to be done properly.

Don't think we should exclude anything, but massive penalties for post'98 definitely... ;)

Burgers/sausages/beer as entry fees is the best idea I've heard yet :LOL:

Would love Eastnor (Malvern) as a venue, 'race' Saturday then BBQ, beers and a minimum of sleep, maybe some wobbly trials & hillclimb Sunday. Perhaps Pat could put us in touch with the right people?

Innerleithen route I suspect is forestry commision and our access laws in Scotland are less tough than Englands.
Thus if Forestry Commision allows races at Glentress and Inners modern DH track which they do as events happen there then they might go for the old Inners DH route subject to all apropriate insurances, organisation etc
Red tape will be the death of us not falling off our bikes :roll:

I have just emailed the chaps that run the mini downhill races at the Forest of Dean to see if it would be of interest to them to run a one off event? They must have the legal stuff covered and all the gear see what they come back with.

daj":9jtdf52g said:
I have just emailed the chaps that run the mini downhill races at the Forest of Dean to see if it would be of interest to them to run a one off event? They must have the legal stuff covered and all the gear see what they come back with.

Oooooh Forest of Dean sounds good.

This really has to be done. Please don't make it on a Sunday as I won't be able to make it!

daj":1wczvh7o said:

Great choice!!!!! God I hope that comes good! That caters for all :)

Back