Bike Storage - Now With Pics

I used to use two big hooks - one for front wheel and one for rear - and suspend the bike up-side-down. If you have thickish joists, put the hooks in at right angles to reduce the drop further.
I've fixed a friend's DB Topanga in the same way but hooked under the stem and saddle. Wheels removes and chain wrapped to avoid accidental oily interactions ;)
All methods need measurement and a cartain amount of oompff to get the bikes up.

Thanks but you miss my point, my garage has a ceiling and a roofspace so height is the issue. I am looking an easy solution to give easy access to the bikes and one where no damage occurs. The best one i saw on the last thread was a high bench with bikes on it and below it but i have not the room for that.

Pondering on ....

Thanks for the advice so fat chaps and chapesses

For what it is worth this is how I do it with a hook on the ceiling and another on the wall to keep the bikes out of the way. They are hung, butt up and butt down so the handlebars don't get tangles up. The angle could be a little steeper if more clearance were needed.

Steven

Attachments

• My Garage.bikes web.jpg
    My Garage.bikes web.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 325
Steven,

Lovely pic!!! I think you have more height than i have. I am looking for a solution that leaves a gap of 600mm below the bike. I will have to give consideration to hanging them from the ceiling with both wheels removed - maybe two hooks holding each top tube.

Thanks all, any further advice is appreciated.

Richard

TGR":3omewvgk said:
Thanks but you miss my point, my garage has a ceiling and a roofspace so height is the issue. I am looking an easy solution to give easy access to the bikes and one where no damage occurs. The best one i saw on the last thread was a high bench with bikes on it and below it but i have not the room for that.

Pondering on ....

Thanks for the advice so fat chaps and chapesses

So this is no good then? (Or just hooks in the joists?)

06888e26-58e9-4f18-bd7e-cb6aff5d619e.jpg

Who you calling fat! (not that you're wrong...)

Not to over-complicate things - my garage is brick built and integrated with the house. It has a pitched tiled roof and inside it has a ceiling. The ceiling is sheeted with plasterboard sheets and skimmed with plaster. There is a floored roofspace/attic entered via a hatch. This are is for storage and is very cramped.

As there is a ceiling, there are no exposed joists and the ceiling height is quite low, i guess about 8 1/2 feet maybe 9. The interior of the garage is mostly shelved but there are also household appliances too - chest freezer, tumble drier, heating boiler, fridge and beer fridge. There is a window, garage door and door leading to the house.

My plan was to hang the bikes from the ceiling above the appliances but it seems there would not be appropriate room and the bikes could be damaged by this - hence the re-think.

I could have saved myself a lot of typing by taking pics but my wife's car is in the garage and it would need moved to take pics.

I hope the above gives you some idea as to my storage problem and i await more helpful hints and tips. I should add i am not in a position to extend or rebuild it this month.

Thanks,

Richard

Back