Will World War 3 ever happen?

rosstheboss":3fngyao2 said:
B77":3fngyao2 said:
rosstheboss":3fngyao2 said:
Not in any way like the first two -

The first world war was effectively a squabble between cousins, to cut a long story short!

Actually no, that was just a good excuse, in fact Germany was around 500km away from completing the Berin-Bagdhad railway, we couldn't allow another rapidly rising industrial nation access to the middle east and it's natural resources. The first british troops to be deployed in WWI were not deployed in europe but in Iraq, in Basra in fact, 2nd Dorset regiment.

Had to check this - The 2nd Dorset were deployed in November, the main BEF went to France in August. Where did you learn about the railway? I've never heard of it as a reason for the start of the war

I'd heard it years ago from a history teacher in our school, who was dismissed for 'giving people ideas'

The 2nd Dorset were actually en route to the mid east when the BEF were deployed so yes you could argue that the BEF were the first troops in the field.

It's a bit of a slog but this is good, written in 1959 and presented to the Centre for Naval Analysis.

http://www.cna.org/sites/default/files/ ... 040100.pdf

A bit more concise

http://automaticballpoint.com/2010/02/1 ... great-war/

This is also quite entertaining if you have a spare 45 mins and like Robert Newman

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DCwafIntj0

Of course everyone is free to draw their own conclusions but given the fact that the Falklands conflict (in which I lost 2 cousins) was a masterful piece of political engineering by the then government, designed to win them the next election, it doesn't take too much of a leap of the imagination to give credence to the idea that the assasination of The Arch Duke of Austro-Hungary was not the primary reason for the Great War.

We credit the human race with too little humanity, in my view.

The main reason there will be no global military conflict in the future is that the people will not allow it.

Whether we have come on as a species, or the ability to mass communicate now being de jure for so many means that underlying instincts and innate morality rules over the manipulations of the hierarchy I don't really know.

It does seem folks won't take that war shite any more laying down.

What day do you all reckon it would start? Monday is my guess,or Sunday night so you wont have to face Monday :LOL:

highlandsflyer":3ollehxb said:
The main reason there will be no global military conflict in the future is that the people will not allow it

What just like didn't allow the atrocities commited in Bosnia ( around 100,000 deaths) or the Reagan 'war on drugs' or when Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons to kill around 5000 of his own people Or now with Syria, Afghansitan, Somalia, the continuing Turkish oppression of the Kurds, or the constant persecution of the Roma people and the Isreali penchant for killing Palestinians ?

I don't see the people standing up and being counted.

highlandsflyer":3vwfbji0 said:
We credit the human race with too little humanity, in my view.

The main reason there will be no global military conflict in the future is that the people will not allow it.

Whether we have come on as a species, or the ability to mass communicate now being de jure for so many means that underlying instincts and innate morality rules over the manipulations of the hierarchy I don't really know.

Your optimism is touching, and however much I'd like to agree, I think I can't.
We're a wicked breed if you ask me. Probably the most wicked species in the world. Our history has been marked with bloodshed and atrocities, why would our future look any different? Have we suddenly evolved? Is the average human being today any better than the average human being in the past? There will always be war, and if it ever comes to a world without war it will be a world without life or a world of complete opression and enslavement. :twisted:

Bram J":tzdoie72 said:
We're a wicked breed if you ask me. Probably the most wicked species in the world.
If cats had nukes then the world would last until the first cat jumped over a fence.

Retro Cat":jrnjb20t said:
stevet1":jrnjb20t said:
Bram J":jrnjb20t said:
We're a wicked breed if you ask me. Probably the most wicked species in the world.
If cats had nukes then the world would last until the first cat jumped over a fence.

You've got to be kitten me

meow what is so funny about world war 3? stop making these heinous jokes right meow!

Back