Lowell.

Yep. I've had dealings with Lowell and Red. I'm not aware of Hamptons though.

They were chasing me for a couple of old mobile phone contracts which my ex-girlfriend very kindly took out in my name and didn't tell me anything about :roll:

Yup, Scumbags! Amongst other scams, Lowell buy up old debts that banks etc had written off, and hassle the debtor. Some people pay up just to get rid of them. Some pay up cos they're scared. There are ways and means to get them to F off.
They after you?

im guessing they are, ask for proof that you owe THEM money. i bet they dont have a cca (consumer credit agreement) with your name and their name signed by both parties and when they trot out the old chestnut they are collecting on behalf of blah blah get them to admit they have bought the debt then thank them for settling any outstanding debt you had with the original lender and bid them good day.
i love debt collection agencies, ive had one particular one threataning me for 12 years now :D key thing here is know your rights and know they are lying to you 99% of the time, admit nothing, tell them to stop calling you or you will report them to the fsa (not the headset manufacturer) for harrassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
and the last thing that will guarantee your name will go to the bottom of a very long list of people they circle like vultures, tell them you will only communicate in writing as is your right and if they want any information financial or otherwise they will need a signed court order to access your personal records. (which they cant get and they know it)
obviously none of this applys if they are not after you/you are trying to get a job with them/ you owe a debt recieved in a magistrates court then you are F$%£ed :D magistrates baliffs can force entry, civil ones cannot.

Yeah bit of an odd one though. I took out a contract for my cousin (its hsi address, my name) as he want old enough but he ended up not paying it. £128.
Not a huge amount. Stupidly (hindsight) spoke to them on the phone but not since. They like to ring me, at least i think its them though a different number each time but similar times.
Keep sending me letters but just ignore after reading about what a joke they are. BUT they have now put a default on my credit report. Im nto overly fussed but prefer it not to there or whatever.
I did read that i only signed a contract to orange?
Id be interested in some advice. Cant find anything specific as its a bit of an odd case.

Barney, did they get any money from you in the end?

Such a joke of a company! Admittedly i was worried at first. Who wouldnt be. Bit of searching and now i just laugh. Wouldnt mind sorting something as above though.

if you took out a cca with orange and defaulted you owe orange. if a debt collection agency is instructed by orange to collect on your behalf then you still owe orange and therefore the contracter orange have employed to collect.
if orange sold the debt to the debt agency then the agency have effectively paid your bill for you and will expect you to reimburse them. the agency will typically pay 10% of the bill to the original creditor and chase you for the full outstanding amount thats how they make their money. however if they have "settled" your bill you now owe orange nothing. they will say you owe them but infact you owe them nothing as there is no credit agreement between you and them so how could you possibly owe them money? ask for a copy of the original cca (the one with orange, which they wont have) and then armed with this you can prove that its infact orange you borrowed from and if orange want their money they will have to take you to court which of course they wont because as far as they are concerened the debt is paid. the whole art to this is to get the agency to admit that they bought the debt and are not just acting on oranges behalf. they will say they are so ask for the originators instruction to collect which under the freedom of information act and the data protection act they will have to supply. even then they wont take you to court because they wont be able to prove you owe them anything so they will either bounce it back to orange if they are acting on their behalf or they will keep hassling you although on a less frequest scale. and dont forget if you ignore any contact by them and not acknowledge the debt in any for for 6 years the debt becomes statute barred and is uncollectable even by a court.

What is a cca? Credit agreement? Im not good with stuff like this. Too many laws and this and that.
I rang orange and they want nothing to do with it, they were itching to get off the phone from me when i said about lowell. They said its nothing to do with them now and to deal with lowell so i assume its been bought?
I keep throwing out the letters from lowell, maybe i should keep them?
You say they will contatct me less frequently if i show i dont owe them but orange but will this rid it?

Yes the cca is the credit agreement you won't get rid of them but they also will tire of you. Next time they call ask them for the agreement that says you owe them money or take you to court they can't do either but they can list a default on your credit file.

cyfa2809":2w1brdu7 said:
What is a cca? Credit agreement? Im not good with stuff like this. Too many laws and this and that.
I rang orange and they want nothing to do with it, they were itching to get off the phone from me when i said about lowell. They said its nothing to do with them now and to deal with lowell so i assume its been bought?
I keep throwing out the letters from lowell, maybe i should keep them?
You say they will contatct me less frequently if i show i dont owe them but orange but will this rid it?

CCA = Consumer Credit Agreement.
When did you make this agreement? If more than 6 years ago it may be time barred, but only if certain conditions exist, eg no-one chased you for the debt for a period of 6 years, which doesn't appear to have been the case here.
Despite what others have said, it may well be that you do indeed now owe Lowell money, and the amount may escalate, so don't bury your head in the sand. Get proper advice.

Citizens Advice Bureau are excellent, but try here first: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sea ... =139437837

It's boring shit but some people enjoy it...

Back