Fish tank advice.....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
got ourselves a little fish tank (plastic jobbie) holds around 20-25 litres - its this one:

marina%2021%20blue.jpg

i think i'm having filter issues.
i've treated the water with the correct dosage of stuff (for nitrate etc), and put the filter in the correct depth, but the filter seems to lose its flow after a day or 2.
just replaced the filter cartridge after a 50% water change and 2-3days in, the water flow out of the top of the pump has dropped and is just dribbling out.
also, the colour of the water has turned a pale greenish colour (this could be the green plastic plants, but it has become alittle more green the past few days - the inside of the tank walls dont seem dirty though...

we use fish food flakes, which could be part of the problem, but wondering if there are better filter/pumps out there anyway for a decent price?
also, we have the fake plastic plants, but wouldnt mind a real one if - especially if it helps to keep the water healthy for the fish :)
we have cold water fish - not tropical.

anyone with any advice concerning any of the above issues or info to help get a better setup, it would be appreciated :)

Do you keep fancies?

Stop using the flake and go on to a small pellit designed for Koy and Gold fish. Remove any old food that hasn't been eaten in a short period of time. never over feed, 'hungry fish are healthy fish' This will keep your tank far cleaner.

Do you just use a foam filter or do you use an under gravel system too? adding carbon to your foam filter will keep the water cleaner too.

al.

al":183fkm12 said:
Do you keep fancies?

Do you just use a foam filter or do you use an under gravel system too? adding carbon to your foam filter will keep the water cleaner too.

al.

thansk Al,
what are fancies? i think its a foam filter with some gravel in it...

whats an undergravel system? is it literally a filter that sits under the gravel??! :p

how does one add carbon to the filter? (cant remember the filter make at the mo - am not at home)

They are Fancy Goldfish fantails etc.... http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/fancy.php

Can't write too much as my computer is going into 'meltdown'!!

An undergravel filter is just that, a tray that the gravel sits on top of and the water is pulled through the gravel (via the pump) which acts as the filter mediun. Talk to your pet shop about charcoal in your filter, you can buy bags of the stuff that you just put in you filter.

Another thing you could look at is the pump, is it working properly? is the diaphram doing its job? sometimes they can split and not work efficiantly.

Is there a good fish shop near you? they will give you all the advice you'll ever need.

al.

He doesn't really have a clue about fish or anything in the real world.Go ask an expert not some twoddle brain who plagues forums all day and hasn't been in with mini battenburgs yet.

jm":e0e5j06s said:
He doesn't really have a clue about fish or anything in the real world.Go ask an expert not some twoddle brain who plagues forums all day and hasn't been in with mini battenburgs yet.

shut ya face!

al. :D

jm":31fipuk4 said:

i was quite disappointed at his lack of an attempt to make a joke at the very least.....

You need to let us know some things:

1. Goldfish? how many and how big are they?
2. Is it in direct sunlight?
3. How much are you feeding?
4. How long has it been set up?
5. What's the filter, name and model?
6. Is your filter running constantly?

I suspect you're feeding too much, the filter is crap, and it's in direct sunlight.

I know a thing or two about fishies. :D

You shouldn't need to treat the water for anything but chlorates and chloromides which is just the standard water change stuff. Or just leave water in as bucket for a day.
The filter should be perfectly fine as it is designed for the job. Being cold and just goldfish should make it easier.

No need for under gravel, just give it a swirl every now sand again. Its only a tiny thing so even carbon is only really needed if the tank was new to get rid of harmless chemicals and you need to keep taking the stuff out as it is used up.
The 'stones' will be the biological part of the filter.

Something is blocking your filter, find out what it is, it'll just be a motor impeller so no diaphragm s or what more.
It a simple small tank setup and should need nothing complicated.

Green sounded like algae, so don't keep the light on all the time if you have one, don't feed the fish loads of food, keep it out of constant direct sunlight.

Back