Bike Storage - Now With Pics

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

I know this was discussed recently but i need some advise about storage of bikes. The previous thread gave advice which was good but did not suit my situation. I need to hang the bikes from the ceiling in the garage so i am thinking of hooks in a beam on the ceiling but height is the issue. I was thinking of hanging them from the back wheel and removing the front wheel - i can store the front wheels easily (i think). Has anyone done this? Can anyone see any problems with this idea?

Thanks all,

Richard

p.s. This really is the best forum !!!!!!!

Yes that'll be fine. Have you got the length of space to hang the bikes from the front and rear wheel?

Halfords sell hooks for just such an application.

I have my bikes hung on a batten, well, more like a beam really, I used frame fixings to attached the beam to a concrete block wall, then put the hooks in at an angle, so that the bikes rest on the wall.

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

NeilM's system looks better to me than just hanging them on the ceiling, since it divides the weight of the bike on two points. I just wonder about the 'stability' of the bikes, don't they have a lot of space to move?

Maybe you can use NeilM's system and hang something like this against your wall: http://www.elektronicagoedkoop.nl/12282-19162-thickbox/obs3.jpg. The bikes will probably hang more 'stable' if you know what I mean :)

(sorry if my explanation doesn't sound clear, not a native english speaker )

Another question, related to this one. What are the best condition to store complete road bikes if you don't ride them often? I mean, how many pressure on the tubes/clinchers, how to keep the rubber parts flexible (brake hoods for example), temperature,...

Always store {if possilbe} with the pedals off.Takes up less room and saves grief.Add pipe lagging to prevent damage to paint work.

Flandria":14188ct9 said:
NeilM's system looks better to me than just hanging them on the ceiling, since it divides the weight of the bike on two points. I just wonder about the 'stability' of the bikes, don't they have a lot of space to move?

The way my bikes are hung, the wheels of each bike make contact with the wall and the hooks just hold the bikes vertical. The bikes don't move at all while stored.

Spacing: All the bikes in the pictures are retro mtb's, with flat bars around 550mm wide. The hooks are spaced at about 10 to 12" centres. I did read that 8" was sufficient, but this put the bikes much too close together although it may be OK for a rack with only road bikes.

An additional note; all the bikes are locked together with a wire rope.

I've got a spare wooden curtain rail I'm going to use. I'll make up some beefier fixings for the wall and I'll hang the bikes on butcher's hooks through the wheels. Mine is going in the shed, but the same should go for in the house :)

Make sure the rail is up to the job.

Each of those mtbs weighs 20lbs plus (plus plus in the case of a couple :oops: ).

Thanks all, my problem is height - the garage has a ceiling and the bikes are too long/tall to hang with both wheels on. I have things against the wall eg a tumble drier and freezer so the bikes need to go above these.

I see the point about them hanging and the possible damage that could cause and i looked at fixings which attach to a wall to hold the bike up like this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mottez-Bike-Wal ... 74&sr=8-32

but with one wheel out you lose stability,

Doulbledee, the hook system is here and cheaper -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mottez-Bike-Wal ... 32&sr=8-23

I hope you paid the cheaper amount!!!!

Any other suggestions, my wife advises that they are not allowed in the bedroom!!!!

Back