A few photos from a lurking member

Yellow_Peril

Old School Hero
Hello

Thought I'd say hello on my own, first post, and show a couple of photos of a project finally coming to an end.

I bought a knackered 50's Raleigh Lenton frame, and have been doing it up for the missus. Apart from a bit of fettling like hooking up the hub gear, getting mudguards and getting the chainwheel on it's nearly there!

I built an AW 3-apeed and old SA front hub on to new Raleigh 26 1 3/8 alloys. Diacompe brakes will help stop her. I'd like to get a Brooks saddle on eventually, but I'm skint at the moment. I reconditioned the BB and replaced the headset. The BB was a nightmare because it is some odd size.

I have four other Ralieigh frames- a Road Ace, Richmond, a factory sell-off job, and a Special Build modified frame with cutout BB and Braze-on Front Mech. I'll get round to them, and fancy converting one or more in to a light weight Sturmey Archer AW hub commuter. Time will tell, and I'll post pics when they are more like a bike and less like a pile of wasted money!

I have a yellow Raleigh Randonneur which is an amazing ride, but ugly as sin!

Hope to spend more time on here in the coming months. Great site!
img2012120500102.jpg

lentonx.jpg

[/img]

Welcome lurker!

There is something very nice about that bike but i cannot put my finger on it hmmmmmmm

I like it but why?

More pics please

and welcome to the land of non-lurkers - good to see you!!!

Hi! I'm glad you like it, thanks for your reply. I'll take some more pictures of it when I get home this week. The frame is proper shabby, but I love the part visible transfers. I won't repaint, but may lacquer it o preserve it's condition, or smash some clear shoe polish on it!

Here's some pictures as I first received it.

Attachments

• Raleigh.JPG
    Raleigh.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 824
  • lizzie's bike.JPG
    lizzie's bike.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 824
Here's the Yellow Peril. A Raleigh Randonneur with Royal forks, without its mudguards for summer. Sorry about the saddle (flogged that for £30 so that particular horror has gone) and the saddle bag is a bit scrotal because it had a load of tools in it to correct my mistakes on the road (it was my first rebuild)!

Attachments

• IMG-20120827-00075.jpg
    IMG-20120827-00075.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 822
I have another look at the Lenton frame, the more i look at it, the more i like it - still don't know why - it just has a very honest look is my best guess!

Keep up the good work!!

Yellow Peril

Good job on the Raleigh, I'd thought about going for yellow with my Equipe refurb but was ordered to have it snot green by my 5 year old...what's the chainset you've got on it?

Re: Yellow Peril

Meejoir":2m7cp8pm said:
Good job on the Raleigh, I'd thought about going for yellow with my Equipe refurb but was ordered to have it snot green by my 5 year old...what's the chainset you've got on it?

Hey, thanks! I quite the yellow, but it's a bit garish. I had thought of a respray to a duck-egg blue or somesuch, but it ain't broke so why bother?!

The chainset is the original shimano Biopace triple. It's got a thousand miles or so left in it, and with regular servicing the BB is lasting well. I actually have a NOS Biopace 40-52 double and BB to chuck on it when the current one dies. I quite like biopace, and suits me quite well, but I'm not in a rush to put it on to my racer projects! The Randonneur is a cracking frame and although my Raleigh Royal is same but for the spare spoke holders the ride seems much smoother (might be the wheels I suppose).

Robbied196":rws4likj said:
Welcome aboard, great bikes and good to see another Shrewsbury member :)

Thanks! I'll do some better photos of the Ladies Lenton when I get back. I feel a bit ashamed of my phone pics having seen some smart bike photos on here!

What's your local bike shop?

Back