2013 Retrobike Downhill race/meet you say??? :)

Sounds like a laugh! :cool:

What about that last section we did at Long Mynd at the last retrobike ride of 2012? Don't know what that section is called but it would cater for full rigid through to full bouncers but in different categories to keep the playing field as level as possible

I knew keeping my full set of Hammer pads and Troy Lee helmet they would come in useful again some day! :LOL:

A retro DH course has to be on naturally occuring terrain - i.e. no man made obsticles. That's where it all went wrong.... :roll:

My location clearly rules me out but it sounds like a laugh. The DH courses at Cannock Chase could be a suitable location? Unless the Red course has changed much in the last few years, it'd be retro friendly (i.e. pre 97) and the other courses would work for newer but still old bikes.
As for having to be 'natural', the first Eastridge DH course still had a lot of manipulation by humans, and we'd spend hours at Snailbeach slagheaps and BMX tracks destroying our 'XC' bikes so I'm not sure when DH courses were really natural?

1210tech":oc9devxk said:
Sounds like a laugh! :cool:

What about that last section we did at Long Mynd at the last retrobike ride of 2012? Don't know what that section is called but it would cater for full rigid through to full bouncers but in different categories to keep the playing field as level as possible

That'd be Minton Batch. Great bit of trail.

I would come along and watch, if its going to be a rigid/canti affair I might join in. There's a long open fast grassy/rutty decent off the back of moel famau suitable for rigid.

drystonepaul":mg9nozvd said:
That'd be Minton Batch. Great bit of trail.
That's the one, really enjoyed it, haven't ridden anything that fast & flowing for years. Just been re-living it on YouTube, there's some good vids of it on there :cool:

ChrisBrown81":1gpbjg9o said:
drystonepaul":1gpbjg9o said:
My personal opinion is that the spirit of Retrobike rides generally falls within the do it all on one bike ethos before all the niches took over.

That said, I quite like the idea of a downhill event. Fully rigid with cantis of course.

Now that is the spirit of things!! :LOL:

Beat me to the quote, totally agree! :LOL:

So time penalties for suspension travel and youthfulness of machine perhaps? Definitely needs to be doable on a rigid with cantis to get the numbers up and the attitude correct I believe :cool:

Plus we need the hecklemaphone, obviously! :LOL:

elPedro666":bm7md9ie said:
ChrisBrown81":bm7md9ie said:
drystonepaul":bm7md9ie said:
My personal opinion is that the spirit of Retrobike rides generally falls within the do it all on one bike ethos before all the niches took over.

That said, I quite like the idea of a downhill event. Fully rigid with cantis of course.

Now that is the spirit of things!! :LOL:

Beat me to the quote, totally agree! :LOL:

So time penalties for suspension travel and youthfulness of machine perhaps? Definitely needs to be doable on a rigid with cantis to get the numbers up and the attitude correct I believe :cool:

Plus we need the hecklemaphone, obviously! :LOL:

I think to keep it simple (imagine having to work out the penalties for everyone, someone would have a boring job haha) it would be easier to just have categories like, full rigid, full sus then over 40, under 40 etc. To be honest if 30-40 people came I'd deem it a huge success. The key to this is always going to be the track....some good suggestions coming in, keep them coming! :)

The track yes, but the real key is the fantastic '90s attitude of just having a laugh with it that RetroBikers always bring! :D

I think that if you're planning to run a race on Minton Batch (or indeed any bridleway) then you should probably not carry out the planning on a public forum...

Back