Making an 8sp cassette 9sp?

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Is it possible to make an 8speed cassette 9speed?

I've got an m737 XT cassette, which would be nice to make into a 9sp. The smallest cogs are 11 and 13t, would it be a simple case of adding a 12t inbetween them? Or would I need a complete set of lower cogs, due to spacing on the freehub?

Or should I just forget it as its not even possible??

Cheers for any help

Yeah as above. I think yours is on a spider? If not maybe you could change all the spacers too?

You can of course, like we used to make 8spd from 7spd BiTD with a screw in bottom cog.

The stumbling point would be shifters at 8 speed spacing with an extra 9th click as each cog is that little bit closer together, as you guessed it, to get it to fit on.
It's actually a much larger decrease in cog to cog than there was from 7 to 8 speed.
(almost half a mil.)

To be honest, given the number of 9 speeds available it's a pointless exercise

8 and 9 speed cassettes are the same width which means the cogs are closer together.

if your 8 speed cassette is made up of individual cogs and spacers, then using thinner spacers from a 9 speed may work assuming the thickness of the cogs is the same which I doubt.

plonking on another cog means the cassette is wider than the freehub so you will not be able to screw on the small cog.

If you fancy selling the 8 speed to fund a new 9 speed them pm me with condition and price.
Cheers,
Steve T.

02gf74":2queie55 said:
if your 8 speed cassette is made up of individual cogs and spacers, then using thinner spacers from a 9 speed may work assuming the thickness of the cogs is the same which I doubt.

A 9 speed chain will work fine on 8 speed sprockets.

02gf74":2queie55 said:

A 9 speed chain will work fine on 8 speed sprockets.

And theres me thinking you actually knew what you were doing.

Tut.

Try SRAM 9spd cassettes - very light and some come with alu spiders

Back