Feedback
View
Im in the market for a new sander ,specifically a random orbital sander :D
Must be professional,industrially rated etc
These are the choices i prefer starting with the most likely one i am to buy

1. Bosch GEX 125-150 AVE Random Orbit Sander
http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch- ... rod850395/
Price - £220
I like the choice of pads 150mm/125mm and the extra festool pad for their sanding sheets that really are bloody brilliant.It comes with a festool copy systainer type case that looks pretty good and also with 50 mixed sanding sheets.A pretty good deal i thought.
Downside is the 4mm orbit,seems a bit rough for finishing compared to the 2mm the festool has :?
Case as Standard

2. Festool ETS 125 EQ-Plus Random Orbit Sander
http://www.axminster.co.uk/festool-fest ... rod797376/
Price - £256
It's a festool :cool: Likely to outlast the Earth [though it costs it] and you'll probably get 50% back if you sold it.The only sander you can cuddle in public.
Downside is its fine finishing only.Ive read reports that say that coarser grits can cause it to dance side to side slightly :? could cause a dig in and im looking for a do it all with the emphasis on finishing @240/320grt but with guts to handle rock maple and oak @40/80grt
Case as Standard

3. Makita BO6030 Random Orbit Sander
http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-bo603 ... prod21411/
Price - £193
I love Makita and have their Biscuit jointer also.Their pro tools are top notch and last ages,their big 3 and 4" belt sanders are industry standard.
There isnt any downsides with this sander,it does it all.
Makita sanders also have a built in powered extractor that works superbly at preventing the dust form building up on the sanded surface
No Case

4, METABO SXE450 TURBO TEC 240V DUO ORBIT
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/sn/METSXE450TPRO2
Price - £220
I dont know a lot about metabo [hopefully someone here does] but it seems to have a very good reputation in the carpentry industry.
On this sander i really like the dual orbit size with a very nice 2.8mm for finishing
No Case

5. Dewalt D26410 Random Orbit Sander 150mm
http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-d2641 ... rod890565/
Price - £188
I dont know a lot about dewalt sanders though the slide mitre saw of theirs i have i pretty good,their drills and most things dewalt are pretty well rated but theres something about dewalt just niggles at my mind.It could be that ive seen a lot of broken dewalt drills and want to make the right choice for longevity.
i think theyre pretty good deal for featured with dust extraction with a good sized motor and dual orbit :cool:
Bit of a mincey looking filter :? i dont think that would survive long. :D
No case

If anyone has any of the above sanders and would like to give me their opinion of them that would be great thanks

I take it you need an electric one?
We have Bosch pneumatic ones at work which are superb, the 3M ones are better again. Alas i can't remember what make the best one is :roll: i'll look tomorrow ;)

all the fiberglass finishing contractors i used to work with used festool with the extractor as they had to deal with a lot of fine dust, i used to use mirka though on an air line for fitting teak floors, thats all i can offer really, one thing i would look at would be the vibration feedback from the tool if using it for long periods

cant comment on the above,but i used to work at a kitchen manufacturers and we had ELU sanders,they were ace,loved em,they did weigh quite abit but that helped with the job.

Dewalt are very overrated in the trade. Fact is that it's just a posh label on a black & decker product.

I've used plenty of metabo tools for metalworking, grinders jigsaws etc and they aren't bad, better than makita IMO. I had 3 makita grinders fail in the space of 12 months. All 4.5" but each with a different motor. All burnt out, none were replaced under warranty. If they had been my own and not company tools I would have been fuming.

Not used festool, but that model doesn't sound perfect for you anyway.

I'm a bit of a Bosch fan. Love their grinders, my cordless drill seems unkillable and I have one of their cheapo green random orbit sanders which a bit gutless but has served me well for the last 12 years. I'm sure their blue ones are great. Lumos makes a valid point re; vibration. Bosch grinders and drills are spot on for that. Very smooth in operation, but also come with a very good but funny dildo-like flexible handle that absorbs a lot of the sting.

HTH

We moved away from De Walt at my work and went back to Makita as they just last a lot longer and get the job done better. That's mainly screwguns though but we do have a Makita sander that does the job well, the De Walt is a bit "vicious"

Though having said that I use my own screwguns, Panasonic.

I have the festool one,but cannot remember which model of the top of my head.it dose everything fine.but as you said ,at a price

RobMac":3qfdrfdv said:

My final choice too :D
Just placed the order 2 mins ago with the free posting,hopefully it will arrive this week.

Thanks for all the other answers though,interesting to hear others opinions on the sanders,a lot better than reading the reviews on random trade forums :cool: .

No bikey purchases for a bit :( Pro tools are pricey

Back