CAMPAGNOLO RECORD OR/ICARUS/CENTAUR

all groups were already at 24 speed

year \ from the more expensive to the less expensive
1991 \ Euclid >>> Centaur >>> Olympus
1992 \ Record OR >>> Icarus >>> Centaur
1993 \ Record OR >>> Icarus >>> Centaur
1994 \ Record OR
1995 \ Record OR

Looking at the above, I guess Campy's aluminium freehub bodies never made it into production? IIRC they made four prototype rear hubs with aluminium freehub bodies, three went to the Peugeot team as they were running Campy at the time, and for slightly unknown reasons I had the other one! This must have been circa 1991 or 1992.

I bought an early Record OR groupset, in 1992 I think, which I still have. This came with a rear hub with a seven speed cassette freehub. Instead of a lockring there is an eleven toothed cog which screws into the end of the freehub body and locks the other seven cogs in place and provides the eighth gear. It is a neat solution to an 11 tooth upwards 8 speed cassette (maybe it also used up some redundant 7 speed freehubs for Campagnolo) but I try to avoid using that cog too much because I have no idea where I will get another if I wear it out.

A very helpful summary there Adri.75; I've been amassing a small mountain of this stuff for some time and this is really useful.

HW

Re:

adri.75":2ac5mj66 said:
SAME components in the 3 groups

shifters

com+camb.JPG

front derailleur

controls bullet

cassettes 8V

seatpost

thingy to route the cables under the BB

identical components for record OR and icarus

brake levers

chain

identical components for Icarus and Centaur

cantilever brakes

BB

headset

pedals

the centaur is the only one with the brake levers in black plastic (even bullet combo)

leve+cent.JPG

Superb analysis of the Campagnolo MTB components!
Great spotting the later Record O.R canti peg mounts. I thought I had a later set before reading this.
I think in regards to the short lived Icarus groupset that Campagnolo were at primary stages and gave out a confusing catalogue.

I had NIB sets of Icarus levers and they're the set with black rubber grips.
My silver anodised sets are Record O.R.

7152000975_60f27dbb77_c.jpg

At least in the UK, retailers and distributors(!) often used to disregard model year spec's with Rec OR and Icarus; I've only ever seen the rubber bladed levers supplied in Icarus groupsets.
Also the crankset featured as Centaur in the catalogue on the previous page was offered as a 'standard' crank for the Icarus group sometimes.

As retailers (+ distributors?) mixed up groups occasionally, probably to shift old stock, I suspect that Campag did a bit of this themselves - I've certainly seen parts which contradict catalogue spec's.

There was also a later version of Record thumbshifters featuring ball-bearings, but I've never encountered these despite owning several pairs.

I checked the catalog, the group Record OR and the group Icarus use the brake levers record BL-02ORTB CG, instead the group Centaur used the levers Icarus BL-02ICTB.
Campagnolo has always been a mix of particular :facepalm:

thanks for reporting, I'll try to be more specific with the description :D

Re:

First year Icarus used the plastic bladed levers - the ones in your pic are Icarus, so are dazzawazza's above. It says so on the box! ...These were nearly always supplied in Icarus group's in the UK even in the later years, despite what the catalogue states.

adri.75":2e3cdxaa said:
the group centaur is the only one with the brake levers in black plastic (even bullet combo), these brake levers are identified as "BL-02IC" and are Icarus

leve+cent.JPG
leve+freno+icarus.JPG

Its very useful having Catalogue info to refer to but with Campag there are sometimes variations. I've even seen earlier Centaur mechs supplied with steel cages for instance.
The catalogue spec's are handy but not always the full story. ;)

Back