Tel's Stallion Cycle Shop Venture!

I would agree with not stocking crap but you do need bread and butter stock cables low end cassettes and free wheels e.t.c. The rest be seletive and stock what gets used or asked for. If you have to order it order more than one so you have stock. That's what I have done and mostly have items that sell rather than not.

Elev12k - Population of the island is approx 40000 doubling in the summer to approx 80000. Main facilities!? Not really any to speak of. The main high street is failing, we have one major supermarket (other smaller ones dotted about). The main attraction is the beaches I guess

sheerness3.JPG

Very pebbly! Unfortunately I'm not very near to the main beaches but near to the harbour

queenborough-3429.jpg

There is currently a new Supermarket being built (Morrisons) in the Queenborough region and there are plans to redevelop the harbour pretty much which I am located in the heart of.

Not really thought about eBikes. A couple of my suppliers deal with them so I could supply them on demand. It's not something thats really taken off over here.

New cycle paths have been introduced in the recent year or so. It's actually fairly easy to ride around away from the roads.

Regarding stock. Yes I was thinking that I want to sell products I believe in even the BSO repairs have to be good repairs. If I use inferior but cheaper parts i.e steel rather stainless cables my repairs will seem shoddy and effect my rep.

I don't expect to sell loads of bespoke builds with Campagnolo or Dura Ace groupsets although I could be surprised I guess when I cast my mind to the cyclists I know already.

Have you thought about offering bike hire to the tourists.

We have a good network of disused railway tracks in the Peak District and tourists hiring bikes to ride on them is very popular.

It's in the pipeline. Thats the next big step, was going to do it this year but think I need to concentrate on building up the shop first.

Tel":xqbm8fd8 said:
It's in the pipeline. Thats the next big step, was going to do it this year but think I need to concentrate on building up the shop first.

Hiring seems like a very good idea with all those tourists in the summer.

Yes, bike rental. Including 'bakfiets' for people with children who want something different during holliday.

Btw is that a Saab garage near you?

Been looking at bakfiets. Very cool and all that advertsing space!

Ha I wondered if anyone would say about all the Saabs but no they're just residents cars ;)

Yes, you could position one with text outside and use it for rides around town.

We hired something similar (IIRC a Christiana ) when we went to visit relatives in Lyon.

Great fun ( and we paid a premium price over a normal bike)

Bimey Tel....... how do you manage to fit something else around a full time job, and a nightime job at that.

Shaun

Back