restored boys raleigh road bike - 20" wheels.

ktuludays

Old School Hero
My 7 y.o has been pestering me to get him a road bike for the past year. He wanted one just like my winter hack
2012-07-10195432.jpg

Getting a road bike for a child that age is very very difficult. One rainy sunday afternoon late last year i was browsing ebay and came across an old kids raleigh road bike with 20" wheels for sale locally and i managed to grab it for 20 quid.

this is how it was after a good clean. not much of an improvement really, just less cob webs.
2012-09-28175505.jpg

2012-09-28175527.jpg

2012-09-28175536.jpg

2012-09-28175844.jpg

2012-09-28175610.jpg

2012-09-30155941.jpg

it needed more work than i originally thought but for the cost i thought it was worth restoring it for my eldest. once he has done with it then my youngest (5) can use it as his first road bike in a few years.

parts restored
2012-09-29125708.jpg

2012-10-02110150.jpg

2012-10-02110126.jpg

the bike was fully stripped and the frame was shot blasted and powder coated at vernon barker cycles of dronfield, who in his day was one of the best steel frame builders going - these days he just repairs and restores but his work is exceptional.

bike has had brand new genuine raleigh tyres, new brakes and cables, all bearings stripped cleaned and repaired as necessary. new bar tape (same as mine), new rim tape and wheels fully restored. the pedals are the only thing which let it down but i cannot find a set i like that would suit the period.

brakes are weinmann with extra brake levers and the 5 gears are controlled with a sachs huret rear derailleur. it is non indexed so i'm not sure if he will struggle with this set up but that is why it is on the turbo trainer so he can get used it before summer.

i have yet to find a bike pump that will fit in the gap under the top tube but my search continues.

finished bike - excuse the mess behind the bike, we are halfway through a lounge upgrade/resto.
20130121_143503.jpg

20130121_143452.jpg

20130121_143520.jpg

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/ktuluda ... ke%20Resto

Nice work!

I like that you have kept the original vibe to it, though TBH I would have ditched the made-of-cheese caliper and the suicide levers and replaced them with some decent Shimano ones and Cane Creek SCR-5 levers. Add in some crosstops and you have all the stopping power a 7 yr old would need!

i didn't want to spend hundreds on it to start with until i was sure he would enjoy riding it. he is currently on the turbo trainer though pretending he is wiggo on a tdf hill climb!

bloody superb, looks great. i'd of loved one like that when i was 7!

another £5 on some of those stickers for the top tube with a Union Jack and your lads name and that would finish it off.

top work, another convert to the retro way....

Can a 7 year old be into retro? Get them started young i suppose.

I love the bike, if anyone has anything similar i would be interested for my 6 year old - she got a BMX for Christmas but i would like her on a road bike!!!!!

The only drawback is that she will be quicker than me!!

I have just remembered, I had a similar bike, which I sold to oxo on here. He refurbed it for his daughter. He went the completely modern route though, replacing nearly everything (wheels, chainset, brakes etc etc).

She now, apparently, races it in their local league

Latest posts

Back