Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Minor cause for celebration, shameless self-publicity and gratuitous Who references to boot; me and my my steel CX bike with its retro-heavy componentry - http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=126 - have managed to fend off considerable competition from other riders using more modern kit and secure the club 'cross championship for a third year running, making me the first ever club member in the Senior age category to win it more than twice. :)

I actually get to pick the trophy up at the annual prizegiving dinner this Saturday night. Only downside is that despite getting exactly the same Wessex League points tally as 2011-2012, I finished outside the top 20 this time around so no certificate or £10 cheque on offer from the League committee, unlike 2012. :(

David

Tel":293yl1b4 said:
It's not what you got it's how you use it!

Especially when it comes to tyres - most of the big hitters in my local league are sponsored by bike shops and use money-no-object Dugasts and FMBs....I was on NOS Nokian folding clinchers at £26 a pair off eBay. :oops:

David

Begs the question would you have done better on a more state of the art machine!? Although I'd rather you didn't, I can imagine all the losers going home and having an epiphany.

Tel":2ji5l075 said:
Begs the question would you have done better on a more state of the art machine!? Although I'd rather you didn't, I can imagine all the losers going home and having an epiphany.

Might have done better on a megabucks wheel/tubular combination, certainly (but for convenience clinchers suit me better as I only have one 'cross wheelset which has to do for training as well as getting me to/from the actual races). But I wouldn't have swapped all of the other kit for the world, especially as it's nice, robust 8-speed stuff - having seen many a rider on 10-speed/11-speed kit suffer written-off rear mechs & gear hangers and/or snapped chains due to the stuff not coping well in an off-road arena, in some ways I'm better off as I am!

David

I agree. Unless youre sponsored for new kit and have spare bikes & mechanics on the course, durability is more important than shaving ounces.
Well done matey

pigman":3bru67qf said:
I agree. Unless youre sponsored for new kit and have spare bikes & mechanics on the course, durability is more important than shaving ounces.
Well done matey

Spare bike? Luxury!

David

Back