Old picture of some very important men! Well three really!

Midlife":bwym8040 said:
Aende ? Shaun
We have a winner! Only by guess work at tips ;)

Chap on far left............................Alan Braithwaite[PONGO].
Youngish chap next to PONGO.....Derek Wood.
Chap next to Derek Wood...........Cyril Harper.

Alan - Derek - Cyril worked at Carlton[Worksop] They left Carlton and Alan & Derek set up themselves making their own frames.

Cyril started his joint/own shop up in Mansfield called A & C Sports, A & C stood for Alan & Cyril.

Alan made his own frames with backing from Derek Wood and this is why Pongo's frames were called AENDE

Which really mean't...ALAN-and-Derek..aka..AENDE ;)

Pongo' used to make special frames for the North Nott's Olympic Racing Team and Cyril would spray them and they was called PARAMOUNT CYCES.

Pongo' died a pennyless man in Indonesia,2007
Derek Wood & his wife were killed in a head on crash, just on the outskirts of Mansfield, 1983.
Cyril Harper died of a stroke, 1987 :cry:

Long live AENDE & PARAMOUNT CYCLES :cool:

I knew all that, just didn't want to spoil the fun........................

I thought it was North Notts Olympic. The older guy holding the shield looks familiar. A mate of mine was a NNO member at one time and he had a Pongo built Paramount (which was offered for sale here 2 years ago but nobody was interested).

NNO had very similar jerseys to Calder Clarion, yellow with red and black contrasts.

and to think i had a paramount .{the Mansfield one not the US one}
Only been to the Mansfield shop once and by then it had changed hands.

Dinnington RC/Ideal Travel and Lincoln Whs/Linpave riders from the 80's. Can't tell you who they are though (yet) although some look familiar.

Old Ned":16jfqxh0 said:

The older guy holding the shield looks familiar
:LOL:

I think the chap holding the shield is Mac Mumford, ring any bells ? I had to ask about him!!

Always wanted a Paramount but Cyril charged too much :oops:

Old Ned":2n8zf7dz said:

I thought it was North Notts Olympic. The older guy holding the shield looks familiar. A mate of mine was a NNO member at one time and he had a Pongo built Paramount (which was offered for sale here 2 years ago but nobody was interested).

NNO had very similar jerseys to Calder Clarion, yellow with red and black contrasts.

What is it with lookalike club jerseys? It's especially confusing when you're up against riders from said club(s)...my outfit's old strip looks like both Team MK and Hemel Hempstead CC kit to some degree, and the new one is a dead ringer for Fareham Wheelers and possibly Bicester Millennium, so racing either of the CX leagues I ride might result in some sort of "jersey clash"!

David

Back