Shimano 6

nickyburnell

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
Hi, got this Shimano 6 speed cassette (Don't think its a freewheel).
How does this come off? Is it one of the threaded small cog types?
Also what to replace with?
Ta lots

Attachments

• photo6.JPG
    photo6.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 317
Yes its an old Shimano cassette. The end sprocket unscrews , the rest of the sprockets slide off . You need 2 chain wrenches , one to hold the main body of sprockets, and one to remove the last sprocket.

If it is a six speed cassette you really need a replacement UG cassette. You could adapt a 7 speed HG cassette to fit but it will be a fair bit of work and you will need a 3/32" track sprocket as a lockring.

You could try flipping each sprocket over that can extend life.

Alternatively I keep 6400 6 speed cassettes in stock in the shop. 13-18T only though.

6 speed

Nice close ratios. Lovely! IMHO the worst modern thing is not being able to get straight through blocks. I'll be in contact.

you should also be able to change the freehub body to a later cassette version. I say 'later' but it could still be 23 years old!

see sheldon brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

k7hub-3-styles.jpg

Change.

Yes, I saw that, I'd just change the wheels TBH, if I waned more gears. I have several 7 speed STI brake/gear levers. But it has 6 speed 105 down tube shifters, 6 speed 105 mechs, 6 speed 600 rear hub (front is a mavic, so would like to find matching 600). So in all I'd like to keep it as is.
Its also very light like this ;)

Re: Change.

nickyburnell":xaxpnd1e said:
Yes, I saw that, I'd just change the wheels TBH, if I waned more gears. I have several 7 speed STI brake/gear levers. But it has 6 speed 105 down tube shifters, 6 speed 105 mechs, 6 speed 600 rear hub (front is a mavic, so would like to find matching 600). So in all I'd like to keep it as is.
Its also very light like this ;)

All that six speed stuff will do up to 9spd without problems - I may have a spare 7spd insert for the downtube shifters - keeps the look but with more practicality.

LGF I have not tried removing the freehub body of one of these old 6400 hubs yet. Are they secured on with a 10mm allen key like modern shimano hubs or is some sort of special tool required like on the old 740x DA hubs.

Also would the same apply to M730 hubs with 7 speed UG freehub bodies. Are these secured the same way? I should take one apart to see I think I will tomorrow if you don't answer first.

Back