Opinions/advice on powder coating these Bikes

Shillidogg

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I have acquired the following vintage bike frames, all the actual frames are in good condition but paint job is not -
• FC Parkes, 531 throughout, no decals
• Dave Marsh, 531c throughout, decals (inc 531 sticker) but paint job not in great condition.
• Raleigh royal, 531st throughout, no decals
• Raleigh (not sure of name), 531c throughout, no decals but has raleigh head badge and 531 sticker.

My plan was to get them all powder coated (cool vibrant colours) then sell them on. But what I'm wondering is wether I would be decreasing there value buy powder coating them? Are people more likely to buy bike frames with some evidence as to what they are rather than buy a bike frame that looks good (due to powder coating) but no evidence as to what they are?

I was maybe planning to put my own decals on these powder coated frames to jazz them up but again do people generally want to restore frames themselves?

So I suppose my main question is should I sell them on as they are or powder coat then sell them?

I think you will significantly reduce the value of all of the frames by powder coating.

Leave them as they are, just give them a clean and tidy and then get photos posted in the for sale section.

As someone else has said before "they are only original once".

You are better of selling them as they are. Powder coating in general devalues a frame (new pro paint job is much better), pc should really be saved for budget frames imho.

Powder coat = NOooooooooooooo :cry:

If you want to commit a crime against cycling, then powder coat.

Coated up unidentifiable lugs, just as the builder didn't intend, then powdercoat :LOL:

powder coat:

CIMG7751_zps29837653.jpg

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=30

Nice job but still would not do it...

Powder has its place.

I have an aluminium mtb that had been acid dipped to remove paint by a previous owner. Needless to say, it was never going to shine again as bare alloy.

I had it powder coated and it now has a great colour and is shiny.

However, in the case of these frames, it's financial suicide to do it.

powder coating

Nick at lloyds also warned me that he has known people have problems with decals coming off powder coating. O.K. for something you are not bothered about but for me it would be simply something to strip off prior to a decent coat of enamel.

Back