£2000.00 What retro bike?

I agree with spending cash on something that means something to you...for example my dream bike in the early 90's (and still now) is the Fat Chance Ti. No other bike compares in my eyes, but others will feel the same about other bikes.

Or you could buy a good steel frame and decorate it with lots of lovely NOS stuff :)

daugs":304bpr74 said:
a number of years ago, I was fortunate enough to realise a dream and get a proper classic car, something I'd always wanted to do from when I was 17 running an old 1972 mini from necessity and reading practical classics.

I looked at the cars I wanted then worried about price without being silly to start with. Then spent ages researching what I was thinking and then tried some including just hiring one to convince the Mrs. Then narrowed down the model and compromised on price / spec to get to something that I could justify and afford.

My point is, as per previous comments I would start with what have you always wanted, this is a reward for hard work per the original post, the search is part of the fun, I would definitely try some to see how you like them then think about budget and what can be afforded.

what you could do which may be of interest to others (well me at least) is post some pics of possible candidates like the Marin FRS to see what people think, I always loved the idea of titanium full suspension but not many left uncracked and no idea what they cost.

I am more interested in what car you brought now? :oops:

If you don't KNOW what bike you want to get, and you have to ask for suggestions, then you're going to waste your money.

Barneyballbags":skqey44s said:
If you don't KNOW what bike you want to get, and you have to ask for suggestions, then you're going to waste your money.

As in my original post - I want a Klein in gator fade. I don't know if this was in my budget and was asking what else I could get for the money.

It would be an Ibis Bow Ti for me:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=10& ... W6SccvEjXQ

If you're going to ride it then Titanium is the best of the retro materials for lasting the test of time.

Kona - Hei Hei
GT - Xizang - Lightning
Marin - ???
Merlin - ????
Litespeed - ??

An unusual retro project would be a bare Ti frame built with as mcuh carbon as possible that would look amazing.

This fits your budget at £2,079 from 1991

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-litespee ... 4d08a5b3ca

I have a lot of love for this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENIK-COLUMBUS ... 4d0827fba6

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Barneyballbags":3vs80r7n said:

well partly depends on personal circumstances but also level of knowledge back in the days, when I bought my Eldridge Grade new in 1992, I didn't know much about Yeti's or Klein's as was more limited to people I knew and local shops, and the occasional magazine, hence my aspiration of manitou full suspension or marin equivalent, but now if had same dilemma as OP then may want others thoughts and also not always obvious what some of the top end things cost and not always polite to ask.

ps I didn't mention my final choice of car as bit off topic but the process was relevant, and did start from a short list of about 5 different models all of which I had aspired to, but then the only way is up from a 12 year old mini 1000 with 70,000 on the clock.

Interesting question :)

If you've always liked Kleins then maybe seek out the exact colour/model you want......me? I'd invest in a future classic, something from Groovy, Sycip or Inglis/Retrotec ;)

Cheers
Stu

gtRTSdh":2yw3gvnn said:
If you're going to ride it then Titanium is the best of the retro materials for lasting the test of time.

I'd say steel. But for a 2K bike I'd definitely consider ti.
That ibis is wicked BTW! :cool:

Might as well go for one of the MOST elusive of all Retro MTBs.....

OFF ROAD TOAD

Good luck on finding one though

But.....a nice Early Ti Frame would be great also

Back