New Yeti's...any good?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Now I know there is a lot of love for the Yeti's of old, but what about the new ones? Been having a look at 2007 onwards 575's. Anyone know if they are still worth their salt? Also how does their sizing work out I currently ride a large 2008 Rift zone (about 19")....

...Help and opinions welcome!

Wook

I have recently built a Medium sized 575 up from scratch, i'm 6 ft exactly and it fits really well, i do prefer a bike on the smaller side though.
I've got to say, it is absolutely brilliant and well worth the effort and time building it. To be honest i may sell my hardtail and just have 1 bike, it's that good. It's fun to ride, really fun. It's a 2009, with carbon rear end, no probs with that either, love this bike. Get one!

My older 2007 Yeti 575 which died :cry: It cracked the swingarm after about 6months (warranty). Then again after 5yrs and a couple of months (not warranty) so I had it repaired. A couple of months later the carbon parted from the alloy pivot in the middle of our holiday, so it was replaced....

Yeti 575 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr
(5yr old in that pic and still looks good)

It was replaced by an ASR5-C. A bit of an impulse purchase. But I had been looking at the 5. Just not necessarily the carbon... It's bloody brilliant. My main criticism if the 575 was the lateral flex, you could feel it when cornering. The later 575 with the bent top tube and larger seatpost should resolve this.
The 5 uses it travel better. The 575 never felt bad, but the 5 is better.
Despite the problems with the cracking on the 575, I wasn't that bothered by buying another one, I guess that shows how much I love the handling/ride/etc. despite that from 2012 the warranty is only 2yrs....

Yeti ASR5-C by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

So in summary, yes they are bloody brilliant.

It wa the 2007 575 I was looking at as in your first picture! Hmm maybe not for me at 16 stone I would fear the carbon swingarm may not hold up!

Back