Advice on FW Evans touring Bike ?

jjcahill78

Retro Newbie
Hi there, can anyone tell me anything about the origins of this bike. It has an FW Evans sticker on it, original paint, 8 campag mirage groupset with ritchy logic brakes. What year and pedigree is it. I picked it up cheap, is it worth keeping it original ? Starting the clean tomorrow, wont take much to get it going but not sure if its worth sinking a few quid into?

I would appreciate any guidance, this is my older bike.

Attachments

• evansbiggerjpeg.JPG
    evansbiggerjpeg.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 878
  • resise55jpeg.JPG
    resise55jpeg.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 878
  • resise59jpeg.JPG
    resise59jpeg.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 878
My advice to you, good sir/madame, is to ride this bicycle ;)

Welcome, I would say that once you've cleared up the years if grime and neglect you shouldn't have to spend a great deal of money to get this to a roadworthy stage, consumables mainly - barring any mechanical breakages.

As to whether to upgrade/restore/renovate this bicycle I would have to know what you intend on doing with it i.e. Touring, commuting, pub bike, etc...

EDIT: The link enclosed will give you an idea of F.W Evans and it's pedigree. Although the link only outlines F.W Evan's 20's and 30's endeavours (your bicycle is clearly later than this) it should facilitate a start in your research of this bicycle - hope it helps.
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/designs/hsfwevans.html

Thanks rusty, I think, from what I can find online that this is an FW Evans deluxe touring frame. A friend of mine reckons its made from reynolds 531. The guy I got it from said that a friend of his had it custom built, I dont know if this is reliable information.

I pumped the wheels this morning a took a little spin down the road, I need to change the stem, to bring the bars closer to me. Then change all the cables and bar tape and a good service. I think I will change the wheels too. For a few hundred quid I will have a nice touring bike. I do a few sportives too, should be nice a comfortable for that purpose too.

Evans

Warning - restorations can get expensive - my dear old Galaxy cost way more than I ever intended to spend. Starting with an old cheap/free bike is not always the most cost effective solution. It is however tremendously satisfying. I say clean her up, ride her and see what need changing. Good luck!

Back