Claud Butler : Project Neighbour

Hi, the problem looking this far back are the reference points, its easy to look at the catalogues and believe they determine the facts. The main catalogues were mainly produced for the year ahead, i.e. produced in Nov for the following year ( there were trade shows at this time as well ), so they can be best thought of as a view of possible production in that model year, also this was just post war, things were tight. In these circumstances, I usually look at similar bikes on the web, and look at there features, and work from there. Your CB has a seat clamp arrangement used by CB between 1946 and I thought 1950, your bilams were referenced as 'closed circuit' in the 1949 catalogue, and there was a model of that name, so if I wanted one in 1951 I'm quite sure you could get one. I hope this helps. Terry. -- This was on ebay last year http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1949-Clau...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Simply stunning! I particularly like the head lugs that seamlessly flow into filet brazing, its like the top and down tubes are embracing the head tube. Oh I'm feeling poetic better stop before I embarrass myself.

Update: Cleaned pedals and chain set

Hard to describe how much cleaning has gone into this! Ive stripped both the chain set and pedals, god they took some effort to remove! The Chainset has come up a treat, particularly the drive side, it looks almost brand new. The left hand crank has cleaned up well considering the damage to the chrome. The Chater Lea pedals now run smooth and true, and Ive removed the rust, considering they are late 40's early 50's they are a credit to the quality of manufacture. I've also stripped, polished and regreased the Mavic G40's on campag record hubs.
My neighbour wants to build it back up with the original parts, so i'll clean and refit to finish. Adding SKS silver mudguards, white san marco rolls saddle, continental gator skins (700 x25C) , white cinelli cork ribbon, diacompe brown gum lever hoods, and christophe chrome toeclips and white leather straps.
Have a look a the pictures below, I'll post again when its finished ;-)

Attachments

• Pedals and chainset.jpg
    Pedals and chainset.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 883
  • Drive side Chainset.jpg
    Drive side Chainset.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 883
  • Chater Lea Pedals Clean.jpg
    Chater Lea Pedals Clean.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 883
That's a stunning clean-up job... :shock: What's your technique / secret for cleaning up the paintwork? I have a couple of bikes that could do with whatever you've done.

Like everyone else, I keep coming back to this and gazing at those lugs...

Rich34":281kco8c said:
That's a stunning clean-up job... :shock: What's your technique / secret for cleaning up the paintwork? I have a couple of bikes that could do with whatever you've done.

Like everyone else, I keep coming back to this and gazing at those lugs...

Thanks Rich34, not too many secrets Im afraid just lots of hard work and patience. The details you did ask!
For the frame I first cleaned with soapy warm water, then muck off with a stiff brush. Then GT85 and a cloth followed by another repeat of soap and muck off. Then hand dry cloth cleaned, then...Cif (Jif) cream cleaner followed by soapy water and a dry, then I applied a silicone frame polish. The finish is stove enamelled so I could be quite rough with it, I wouldnt try Cif on newer finishes. The rust was removed by aluminium foil and vinegar then polished very hard with autosol multiple times. Aerosol degreasant on the components such as front , rear mechs and levers, fully stripped of course. I also used autosol on the rims to remove surface oxidation on the anodising and I lightly sanded the braking surfaces. I've built a bit more , picture below.

Attachments

• Build part 2.jpg
    Build part 2.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 645
:D Thanks for putting all that down. Not sure the finish on my frames is as solid as yours but will have a go.

Very much enjoying yours come together. Your neighbour will be chuffed!

That's some brilliant cleaning over there :). Lovely how it can bring and old bike back to life.

Which rear mech is that? Looks quite modern... Maybe and older one will suit better?

Hi, what brake lever hoods did you use? I have got some Modolo levers too but they are in need of new hoods.

Ya

Back