£2000.00 What retro bike?

If I had a sum of money to spend on something but didn't know what to buy (I'm married, so this is very much a hypothetical problem...), I'd be looking West - Californian small ads and US eBay and keeping an eye out for something tasty like a Steve Potts. Or I'd think about a Whiskeytown Racer, I think you can still buy them new. Otherwise, the British steel suggestion is good too. A custom frame would be really special.

stop it... you're making me drool :)

you could probably bag an ex- racers bike...

or pretty much any frame and pour NOS XTR all over it..

seriously though.. are you sure you wouldn't get something modern?

If you want a mint Klein, you could also do what I have done?

I purchased an attitude frame MC2 off of this forum (not rigid unfortunately) and have sent it to EToE to be sprayed. Whilst waiting for it to come back I have sourced pretty much all the parts and will build it up once it is back. I know it won't be problem free to build it, bottom bracket and headset etc, but once it is complete it will be exactly as I want it.

You could also make the build more interesting, I set out on a non Shimano mindset, and have stuck to that. With Shimano it would have been easy just M900 which is readily available, but non Shimano has been more expensive and troublesome sourcing decent NOS or very clean parts over the past few months but has been a challenge and good fun - hopefully rewarding once it is built up and I am riding it :)

Black star - there aren't any new bikes that I really like. Not into the Downhill scene riding wise myself though I photograph it :LOL:

Xc bikes probably would go for a Giant Anthem but don't really need full suss, hell I don't really like susp forks - I'm taking a set of Z Bombers off my Explosif for P2's.

If I bought a Xizang the wife would just compare it to the Zaskar :shock:

Make a list of bikes you like to own and ride then worry about the cost.

I am probably the least retro bike oriented person on this forum (my oldest is 1998 and then majority are less than 4 years old) but would suggest that Marin with the twin shocks that replace the seat stays motorcycle stylee.

lemme see if I can find a photo.....

easier than I though, here we go Marin FRS

marin-pine-frs-2.jpg

I think you got me wrong

£2K is not insane as such.... - but even the one I spent most on - the Pace RC200 - is nowhere near there (about £1200) (but could have been if I'd bought everything at once at the same time)

What I meant was that you're cheating yourself of the sense that YOU built it. As YOU want it. As you know with your business - the sense of achievement is unbeatable. You'd enjoy the bike more if you could give it those associations.

For sure - if you want to spend a lot on stuff that you can't do yourself - like a JonRock paintjob - then that's fine too.

But for me the whole essence of retro is knowing how long it took me to find the parts - owning a bike shop means I can build anything I want with new parts - but where's the fun or achievement in that? Doing it yourself gets you more satisfaction for your £2K.

Hi Dbmtb

Perhaps I could have worded my first post better. I know this will probably be my longest build and most rewarding. If I could get my ideal bike in one hit then great, if not I'd gladly pick up a nice frame and forks and then source everything else as I go.

I've never liked Xtr and always preferred XT 730 - 737 groups eras.
I'd probably go for Campagnolo as I've never tried it.

Campag is a good challenge to find especially a full groupset of the same range. Took me three years but it all comes down to how much time you spend on the net etc. and being in the right place at the right time, but as it trickles through the post it is rewarding, it's all in the chase alot of the time!
It's all well and good buying a beaut of a complete bike but the excitement can be short lived where as spending all the time hunting lends to a constant build up of excitement, thats my thoughts anyway.

a number of years ago, I was fortunate enough to realise a dream and get a proper classic car, something I'd always wanted to do from when I was 17 running an old 1972 mini from necessity and reading practical classics.

I looked at the cars I wanted then worried about price without being silly to start with. Then spent ages researching what I was thinking and then tried some including just hiring one to convince the Mrs. Then narrowed down the model and compromised on price / spec to get to something that I could justify and afford.

My point is, as per previous comments I would start with what have you always wanted, this is a reward for hard work per the original post, the search is part of the fun, I would definitely try some to see how you like them then think about budget and what can be afforded.

what you could do which may be of interest to others (well me at least) is post some pics of possible candidates like the Marin FRS to see what people think, I always loved the idea of titanium full suspension but not many left uncracked and no idea what they cost.

Back