Yeti frame

zygote2k

Dirt Disciple
anyone have one of those elevated chainstay Yeti bikes?
I think it would make a nice belt drive single speed...
A way to turn a funky bike into a cool bike.

I grew up in the early 90's and saw all of the bikes that we think are cool now. I worked in a bike shop in 92 and remember seeing Kleins which were pretty cool and many elevated chainstay bikes and then all of the weird elastomer 'suspension' bikes and associated parts. Cook bros, Phil Wood, Bullseye, White Ind were all good parts. Stuff like Kookas were called 'Krackas' and if you rode too much purple ano or dayglow chartreuse, you'd say, "friends don't let friends ride purple" or other colors.
The elevated chainstay bikes were often the butt of many jokes because they flexed in weird places or just broke. Many bikes back then broke because their particular brand of technology just didn't work in the real world.
Yes, I'd like to convert one of those early 90's elevated chainstay clunkers into something cooler than the original.

Belt drive FRO

3.jpg

zygote2k":3iprk88p said:
that's along the lines that I was thinking but I guess that could be done with any steel frame.
Eccentric hubs and BBs make all sorts possible :D

Mike

That F.R.O's well different, aside from the belt drive

It's got a BMX bottom bracket and why the bolt in the rear stay loop ?
Being a tad ignorant I thought they were formed out of a single piece

boxxer":30cs2pnu said:
You can't fit a belt without cutting the stay if Im thinking rightly...

:oops: Your spot on! clearly I never engaged my brain before typing..... Kinda obvious now you've pointed it out

interested to see this attempted as a retro/post factory modification just for the engineering aspect alone.
Hope zygote2k goes ahead and does it !

Still can't get over my school boy oversight above :facepalm:

Back