Bringing a Pre-War frame into the 20th century.

Loving this, love the idea of modifying a frame yourself and not resorting to going to Professionals for every little thing!

Love the crazy idea behind this build too! :D :mrgreen:

Made a little more progress. The Hope M4 brakes were a bit to much so I am using my Hope Mini's instead. I got the rear brake mounted up and it is good to go without having to use shims or spacers. I used a Truvativ bottom bracket adaptor. I am waiting for my modified King headset and a new XT crank to arrive and then it is building time. All the hard stuff is over. The bottom bracket is just a tad higher than my DX which is good. Should give me plenty of clearance. The headtube angle is not as slack as I expected so steering should be pretty snappy. I threw a leg over it today and the fit is right on.
IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

WOW! Even better than I thought it might be. Seriously just draw dropping. Excellent work. :)

Only slight draw back is that I want one now! :D

All that remains is the headset. It should be here early next week. I plan to swap the skewers for some black XT ones, trim the cables etc. The rear brake cable is a little shorter than I would like so I had to route it differently than I planned. I could just get a new cable but I just bled these things and they are working perfect so I will wait until the next time they need a bleed to make a new cable. All the decals are gone. I would have painted the fork but to do it right would mean dissasembling it so I will wait until it needs service to do that. I made a shim for the handlebars out of an old scott handlebar. I trimmed off 2 pieces of it and made a shim for the front derailler as well. The rear wheel mounts up perfect with no brake rub. Shifting seems great in the stand but we will have to see how it is on the trail.
IMG_8506.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

IMG_8510.jpg

Suprised at how little comment this is getting tbh. Personally I love it. Where did you source the bars from, btw?

Not a great fan of the bars tbh, but they do fit the bike. Great bike anyways and you've done an excellent job. Nice. :cool:

When you look at pics of Elgin's though, and that era, the bars do fit it's heritage quite nicely

bielpioletas.jpg

Back