Who's going to be next?

I don't use Tesco's either, they keep setting up Express stores by us right next to newsagents/grocers etc by us. I'd rather use the paper shop than Tesco's if it means it costs me a few pence more.

I also refuse to use service station shops - you have to take a second mortgage out just to buy a sandwich and cup of tea.

Thorntons (the chocolate people) have been on life support for ages...

Waterstones doesn't surprise me... hadn't thought of WH Smiths, but I guess it's a similar model.

I thought Argos where doing OK on the back of their click and collect policy.

ringo":8mzkazdv said:
Thorntons (the chocolate people) have been on life support for ages...

That surprises me, as it's not like they market a rubbish product (I can vouch for this having munched through 2 boxes' worth over the festive season!!). I can only think that they're being squeezed by neither being at the cheap & cheerful end of the confectionery market nor attracting quite the "luxury" tag of rival chains such as Hotel Chocolat.

David

We all shop online so we are all to blame for the demise of the high street as we know it - full of charity shops - not a bad thing - I get my labels from there - thanks to other poeple.

How many blacksmiths, and shoemakers do we see on the high street - its just progress. I wont be crying.

mattbrown":2fqhw0b7 said:
We all shop online so we are all to blame for the demise of the high street as we know it - full of charity shops - not a bad thing - I get my labels from there - thanks to other poeple.

I shop online a fair bit for bike parts, but only 'cause I find that down here the LBSs aren't much good for odds & ends (horizontal dropout adjusters, under-BB cable guides, that kind of thing) and tend to have a limited range of after-market accessories from the usual suspects beginning with S or G. Whenever I visit my parents I tend to make use of Dad's LBS as it's a bit more "traditional" in that regard, without having failed to move with the times in other aspects.

For what it's worth - out of 20 or so gifts, every item except one of my Christmas shopping this year came from a local high street shop.

David

I don't reckon Estate Agents on the high street will last much longer. I can't see a shop window full of photos and lights blazing as a viable business.

I don't reckon Estate Agents on the high street will last much longer. I can't see a shop window full of photos and lights blazing as a viable business.

The great British public prefer someone to shout at face to face when it's all going t*ts up though!!

Back