£2000.00 What retro bike?

Bpool77":3plosg1u said:
Kona lover":3plosg1u said:
jimo746":3plosg1u said:
you could easy get a good Klein for that sort of money.

it's your dough, you might as well get something with it that

So I could get a 92 Adroit in gator fade for £2k?

If you can find one buy it and enjoy it, its what youve always wanted youve worked for it so why not? your money. your choice :cool:

Thanks for that, me and my pal have put our houses at risk, run up over £10k each on credit cards, used our redundancy money and not paid ourselves a wage for 4 months (whilst paying our subbies each week). Now me and business partner are starting to pay ourselves wages whilst paid credit cards off and are seeing the benefit our our "faith" in each other to make it work.

And I've started to get some grey hair!

Obviously opinion varies wildly on this but personally I think 2 grand is a nice solid amount to splash on a top end 'treat-yourself' retrobike.

If you're thinking of a Klein though its worth noting the massive difference in price between a Pinnacle/Rascal and the Attitude. You could pick up a good Rascal frame for a couple of hundred if your lucky - fork and stem selection becomes a simpler and cheaper matter too. In terms of price the lower end Kleins are significantly better value and underrated in my opinion. That said, the appeal of an Attitude with a box fork is obvious though.

Hoping to be in the same situation as you in the not too distant future - as soon as I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket, there's only one thing it's getting spent on!

If it were me I'd wait for the best Ti frame I could afford and then raid the parts bin and/or pick up some bargain components to get it rideable, then upgrade to my first choice components over the next few months...

Good luck with whatever you go for - bottom line is, there are so many good options out there you can't go wrong really!

Thanks for that, me and my pal have put our houses at risk, run up over £10k each on credit cards, used our redundancy money and not paid ourselves a wage for 4 months (whilst paying our subbies each week). Now me and business partner are starting to pay ourselves wages whilst paid credit cards off and are seeing the benefit our our "faith" in each other to make it work.

And I've started to get some grey hair![/quote]

In that case get one quick you definatly deserve your dream bike and get it quick before the grey gets a proper grip :LOL:

I think you will find there are quite a few members around here who finally tracked down their 'Unicorn' only to sell it on shortly after because sometimes realising a dream means you only have to wake up in the morning...

...I always wanted a Cosworth Sierra but it turned out to be one of the most ridiculous purchases I ever made, second only to the Cosworth Merc I spent 4K restoring on top of the 2K+ purchase price only to give it away for £500 in a fit of total disillusionment! (is that even a word? )...

...ironically one of my favourite cars was the 1500GT Mk2 Cortina that cost me £65, with a full years ticket!

You really do need to 'Try before you buy.'

We_are_Stevo":2w702a8o said:
...I always wanted a Cosworth Sierra but it turned out to be one of the most ridiculous purchases I ever made, second only to the Cosworth Merc I spent 4K restoring on top of the 2K+ purchase price only to give it away for £500 in a fit of total disallusionment! (is that even a word? )...
Wish I'd seen your ad for the 190 Cosworth. Don't supposed you advertised it on mercedes-190.co.uk did you?
One of my favourite cars, I have a few friends with them and they're still underrated & underpriced imo.

With regards to this thread, my £2k 'treat money' would go on something handmade (in steel) to fit me, not an off-the-peg item from 20 years ago.
That's if we're talking bikes to actually ride as well as gawp at.

I know what you mean about unicorn items however I don't want to be 65 yr old with bad knees wondering what it would have been like to throw my leg over it and go for a spin. I think I'd use it like a 2 seater sports car - weekends only and use the Explosif which I love and are just about to lavish some TLC on.

N/B":3lsd6xg0 said:
We_are_Stevo":3lsd6xg0 said:
...I always wanted a Cosworth Sierra but it turned out to be one of the most ridiculous purchases I ever made, second only to the Cosworth Merc I spent 4K restoring on top of the 2K+ purchase price only to give it away for £500 in a fit of total disallusionment! (is that even a word? )...
Wish I'd seen your ad for the 190 Cosworth. One of my favourite cars, I have a few friends with them and they're still underrated & underpriced imo.

With regards to this thread, my £2k 'treat money' would go on something handmade (in steel) to fit me, not an off-the-peg item from 20 years ago.
That's if we're talking bikes to actually ride as well as gawp at.

I didn't advertise it; a bunch of Pikey road menders offered to surface my drive with £500 worth of leftover tarmac; I told them to keep their rapidly cooling tarmac and sold them the Merc instead!

You will be extremely lucky to find an MC1 Adroit of any colour or size for your budget if your after a good condition rigid full bike with a good spec. You would eventually find one with perhaps suspension forks, being a later MC2 version, perhaps not so great spec and maybe some damage. It sounds like you want a nice condition full bike, early MC1 version in Gator original paint, join the queue for that one!

Attitude wise, for £2k you will get a minter, but they are very very rare now, check the HLF on us eBay and the Coral on German bay at present, it will be interesting to see what they go for, the final sale price may mean £2k won't cut it anymore at present, we will have to see.

Here is an example of a what your figure in mind would get you, when one comes up of course!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Good luck.

Cheers, Ash.

Back