£2000.00 What retro bike?

You may as well go titanium - titanium is the only material that's only really represented properly at the high end.

Also a good Ti bike feels like riding the best steel bike ever created to a Megan Fox no-strings booty call.

cce":2kl2fzq1 said:
You may as well go titanium - titanium is the only material that's only really represented properly at the high end.

Also a good Ti bike feels like riding the best steel bike ever created to a Megan Fox no-strings booty call.

This^^^^^^^
:D

Dropping £2K on a retrobike is insane.....

You should do this like a fine wine.... Find the wine you want (the frame) and let it mature over a few years (speccing it as you go - some parts might take years to track down) and enjoy it when it's ready.

Readymade solutions are for new bikes. Sorry.

I think you need to go away and have a real good think about it.

By asking the very question means you dont really know and you shouldnt be asking others as at the end of the day we are all very different people with different tastes.

Oh and when you do find something get it up here so we can have a look and be jealous :cool:

dbmtb":ogilyw1x said:

Really? I've rebuilt/renovated 6 retro bikes of which I still own them all and still ride. The most exotic of them would be a Zaskar or Explosif that is the level I have bought at. I've worked 7 days a week for months on end building up a business and should I not be allowed a treat?

Kona lover":7ibt3ark said:
dbmtb":7ibt3ark said:

Really? I've rebuilt/renovated 6 retro bikes of which I still own them all and still ride. The most exotic of them would be a Zaskar or Explosif that is the level I have bought at. I've worked 7 days a week for months on end building up a business and should I not be allowed a treat?

everyone deserves a treat dude, especially me ;)

If I had that much cash dedicated to a retro bike I would be building one custom. Find a frame you've always wanted and get top spec parts/parts you want to make it. to be honest I would be able to do all that and only spend £600 :LOL:

only bikes Ive ever seen for £2000 are modern downhill sussers. (they dont really take my fancy to be honest) retrowise I dont think Ive ever seen anything that expensive.

£2k would buy a real top of the line, limited number, ex race bike or something like that.You better start looking around ;)

Is the bike going to be a rider? or £2k of "art" to hang on the garage wall?

Kona lover":3g64xkd6 said:
dbmtb":3g64xkd6 said:

Read the next bit of dbmtb's post:

dbmtb":3g64xkd6 said:
You should do this like a fine wine.... Find the wine you want (the frame) and let it mature over a few years (speccing it as you go - some parts might take years to track down) and enjoy it when it's ready.

OK - all told, I spent about half that, but the frame spent six months hanging up waiting for me to work out what I wanted to do with it. Most of the rest of the parts have become available and arrived, more than twelve months on from it being ridden (and ridden quite a bit), I still haven't found the right wheels, it's got perfectly OK wheels, but not the right ones [*].

The risk is, you'll sink a stack of hard earned cash, into someone else's perfect build, not yours.

[*] To be honest, I still don't know what the right wheels are, but when I see them, I'll know.

Back