Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - epilogue (P6)

Al-onestare,

Great pics! Your phone is better than my camera!!! I am well behind you now but i will get er done very soon, thanks for your help with the decals, i am trying to get new ones made.

Have a great Christmas and i am sure everyone would love to know your father's reaction when he gets it.

Have a great one,

Richard

Cheers - same to you!

Thread printed, file compiled, final polish applied.

All set to go for Boxing Day!

That just leaves the spec list.

Year: 1983

Frame: Reynolds 531 Double Butted.
Tubing: Raleigh high tensile stays with Gipiermme forged ends.
Lugs: Haden Olympic lugs.
Size: 57cm (re-measured the other night!)
Forks: Raleigh high tensile blades. Cast sloping internal crown and Gipiemme forged ends.

Headset: Tange CMA60.
Stem: SR Custom Light Alloy.
Handlebars: SR Custom Engraved Alloy Bend.
Bar Tape: Cinelli cork tape (black).

Brakes: Weinmann 500 Alloy side pull quick release.

Gear levers: Campagnolo direct-fit down tube levers.
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo 980 front.
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo 980 rear.

Cranks: SR 170mm cranks.
Chainrings: SR custom alloy 52/42T
Bottom Bracket: Tange (unknown model).
Pedals: Alloy quill.
Cassette: Suntour PN6000 gold.
Chain: SRAM PC850.

Rims: Wienmann 700C alloy.
Hubs: Malliard (unknown model).
Tyres: Panaracer Pasela PT
Tubulars: Halfords specials!

Saddle: Brown suede (unknown model).
Seatpost: Laprade (unknown model).
Seat Bolt: 5R CTP5 fluted alloy.

Bike Weight (kg): unknown but the catalogue suggests 24.5lbs which feels about right.

Other details: Jagwire cables (original outers), modern Christophe Zefal straps (black) and new alloy bottle cage bolts.

Was off line at the time but your bike would have got my vote despite all the beautiful Italian steeds gracing the pages....

Anyway how does the story end?

nathanm26":2xd2jshd said:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Make sure you video the event! (Not to share on here - that would be weird - just for memories sake).

N

Nah, share it on here, we all want to see his reaction! Hope all that hard work paid off, like Tel asked, is there a happy ending...?

Hi folks!

Apologies for the delay, I've been trying to find the time (and the mood) to update the next chapter of this story. (I should be at 30,000ft on way to Bangalore but due to a LOL-tastic cock up I'm not).

I'm pleased to say (understatement) that the present was a total hit. Part 1 was me giving him, all nicely wrapped, the old bits I didn't use:

The reflectors
Pump
Knackered toe straps
Split brake hoods
Chain (nicely polished)
Some inner tubes

The bemused look on his face was absolutely priceless as I started to spin a yarn about how these were the only salvagable parts :LOL:

Then I handed him, all wrapped up, an A4 folder of this thread and the manual that TGR kindly scanned up for me. Again, he was mega puzzled and at this point I sneaked off as the family distracted him. I popped out to the hire car and wheeled her in.

Well, the reaction was proper good. He stood up, totally speachless - then said he was speechless! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: He couldn't believe it was the same bike and we spent the rest of the afternoon going over it; explaining what I did, the problems faced, the new bits, the old bits and all the advice you boys gave me.

The family thought the whole tyre label allignment thing was hilarious - it still narks me mind!

No pictures but for good reason. Instead when the spring shows up, I'm going to pop down to darkest Hampshire and we're going to go old skool and go for a ride. At that point we'll get some proper good snaps of the old man and the old man machine in action...along with a 30 something whipper-snapper on one of his "modern" fangled mountain bikes (which to chose? See the signiture...maybe my new A'ha?).

So, look out for April / May time for some spangled shots. Once again many thanks to everyone who posted on the thread and gave me advice, it really was appreciated.

Al-onestare,

Great ending to a great story!! So glad your Dad loved it!!! Has your Mum an old bike - for next Christmas, LOL!!!

Richard

Back