Lance Armstrong interview on tv

Re: This kept me warm for 10 minutes

Steve Pro":1s06766e said:
He's a hero of mine no longer....

s

I got rid of my copies of both books a while ago. They struck me as a bit self-indulgent and vain. Wouldn't be surprised if he has another one coming out off the back of all this recent media exposure. :roll:

David

Iwasgoodonce":1d4xpwlz said:
It does make you wonder what Johan Bruyneel's defence is going to be, dosen't it?

He is supposedly writing a book. I imagine his arbitration is on the back-burner at the moment, L.A. met USADA in December with a view to getting his ban reduced, this may be a factor in that.

Watched part 2 last night (had no idea I had OWN in my cable package). Seemed like his biggest concern was getting the lifetime ban reduced.

HowIPictureLanceArmstrongWinningHisTourdeFranceTitles-50094.jpg

hmmmm watched part 2 now I still cant put my finger on it , He just dont seem that sorry to me (dont ask what I actually expect him to be like). I just get the feeling he isnt really sorry just sorry he has got caught out. The only traces of life were when the kids were mentioned , money lost and wanting to compete again.

He defiantly hasnt come clean he has just been caught out :twisted:

daj":2e3g2uiq said:
hmmmm watched part 2 now I still cant put my finger on it , He just dont seem that sorry to me (dont ask what I actually expect him to be like). I just get the feeling he isnt really sorry just sorry he has got caught out. The only traces of life were when the kids were mentioned , money lost and wanting to compete again.

Absolutely 100% what I thought. The bloke doesn't give a shit.

daj":qd8uvyuy said:

One of my work colleagues did point out that Armstrong's history of doping effectively came home to roost thanks to his attitude to others - if he hadn't bullied team staff, journos, etc. then they may not have turned on him and helped to (rightly) drop him in the brown stuff once investigations started to formulate. Instead he may have succeeded in "doing a Savile" and the full extent of things not being realised until many, many years later. Personally I'm thankful that it's all come out in the wash sooner rather than later - the public image for cycling might suffer in the short term, but for the long-term future of the sport it can only be a good thing.

David

rosstheboss":faruv584 said:
daj":faruv584 said:

Absolutely 100% what I thought. The bloke doesn't give a shit.

David Millar may not be everyone's cup of tea, but having read Racing Through the Dark twice now, at least the consequences of his actions in terms of his own future and that of others dawned on him after the event. I don't get the same impression with Armstrong - it's more "carry on regardless*, to hell with the rest of 'em".

David

*Not in a Sid James way, obviously.

David B":2xturof0 said:
David Millar may not be everyone's cup of tea, but having read Racing Through the Dark twice now, at least the consequences of his actions in terms of his own future and that of others dawned on him after the event. I don't get the same impression with Armstrong - it's more "carry on regardless*, to hell with the rest of 'em".

David

*Not in a Sid James way, obviously.

David Millar, if we are to believe, had a comparitively short and, ahem, 'tame' doping career in compared to what has been admitted by L.A. When D.M. was being beaten up by the press, courts, tax and so on, the consequences of his actions became a lot clearer to him at that point. Millar has become more vocal in recent times, but remember that he has been sat quietly on a team of riders who have only just confessed to their past. I think that now his team has played their cards, we will see a more forthright Millar, well, lets hope so.

Back to L.A. Thus far, apart from losing sponsorship deals and his foundation, which were pretty logical, the 'consequences' of his actions have been less stark and they have not all played out yet. Sure he has lost a lot of money, but then he has quite a bit anyway. The public have spoken and thus he had to respond.

The bigger picture to this interview is what has been left out. It is about those not talked about, those not implicated and those who are still persuing this. This interview, though perhaps not rehearsed, was worded pretty carefully because he knows he still has some thin ice to skate over.

L.A. has 15 years of lying to fix. Lies told for so long and to so many people, they are to him as truthful as it gets. The interview was essentially for Lance, Oprah, and the largesse of the world who roughly give a toss about who he is and can be placated by a simple 'sorry' and get on with their lives.

I think, at this point, LA has not implemented certain people who were involved so that when he innevitably ends up in court he has some 'bargaining chips'.
In a similar way to when Floyd Landers found himself with his back against the wall and spilled the beans about LA.

Thats how it appears to me, as i think he must now be past the point where he has anything to gain by protecting anybody.

Most annoying thing for me is that i now sit and watch the Tour on ITV, as i did when it was on Channel 4 for 20 years and whenever anybody is 'outstanding' for a few consecutive days ,as with Peter Sagan this year, I just assume he's on something :cry: which is sh*t.

Back