Urban RetroBike #2 - Saturday 19th January 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy with 11am plan

Conditions don't look brilliant for people with long journeys on top of the actual ride - but I live within easy reach of Croydon - so count me in for an 11am rendezvous at East Croydon.

Until now, I never felt that settling the family near Croydon was one of my better life choices.

My bike (and I) have seen little if any prior action on icy slush - and I'd welcome a recommendation on tyres. I've got 1.5" schwalbe-slickish, 1.75" conti travel-contacts, or proper offroaders. Any recommendations?

Yo south coast guys ... if your thinking of going tomorrow check travel details !! there could be a bus service between Haywards Heath and Three Bridges !! am i rite in thinking that they wont take bikes on the busses ??
Bloody good luck to those that do turn out :shock:

Mick :)

11am start not 10!

The 11am start seems to meet with universal approval, I think I have PM'd or phoned everyone. In case you've been missed out:

11AM START TOMORROW not 10 as originally billed

Even better than that, my spare room is super tidy and clean (for the first time in 6 months) there were 4 beers chilling and a home made curry bubbling on the hob, all ready for the arrival of PyroTim who is now leaving in the morning.
I guess I'll have to drink those beers then, before they go off :eek:

Godders surely you would ride to Three Bridges? :oops:

Tyre recommendation

I am running Continental Race King 26 x 2.0 knoblies, they seem to be reasonable. The last time I rode on snow it was on Schwalbe Marathon commuter tyres, now that was sketchy.

You need something with a soft compound and some tread. Studded tyres exist, but I doubt you will find them at Halfords. I have seen stuff on the web where people have screwed or riveted through the outer tube, to create DIY studs.

I have also seen cable ties used to make bike snow chains, but only if you have the luxury of disk brakes!

I'm gonna bail. Mostly due to fitness, but also due to the nagging worry that some idiot in a car may slide into me rather than me lose control...

I'm still up for this when the weather improves

I will be rocking shwalbe racing ralph 2.25 knobles. I wouldnt recommend running any form of slick tyre!

The shorts are ready....

Final Call

I am about to get geared up and log off. I have updated the ride list to suit the most recent roll call (see page 2 of this thread). See you all for the aftermath. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back