Urban RetroBike #2 - Saturday 19th January 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can get there, I will be in shorts Mark! These meaty pins of mine dont get cold, my fingers and toes do though!

Still starting from croydon I presume? Keep us updated with local weather please mate so I can plan whether to come if its ok here :)

Cheers

Dan

My wife drove my car to work this morning. She didn't get there. She's currently 10 miles away, at her mums. Thankfully that's on the way to her work.

I will only be able to make it if the weather clears, and she can get back, and the roads good enough for me to get up to that there London

Traffic update

Main roads are still clear, some problems on the M25 (accident), side roads are looking on the verge of getting tricky.
I would imagine the stretch up the M3 to around Farnborough Hants. will be the most likely to snarl up, as it is a bit exposed, hilly and high up.

UPDATE - Looks like the heaviest spell will be this afternoon and evening. Forecast doesn't look that bad for tomorrow morning early on, by which time the ploughs, gritters and recovery vans should have done their job.

it's getting to the M3 that's the problem. A31 across the New Forest will probably be impassible, unless it clears soon.

A31

Normal traffic on the A31 from 5pm. http://www.traffic-update.co.uk/a-roads/a31.asp

Delays and cancellations for trains and planes, but roads seem to be coping well. On the side street outside, there is a paltry 2" of light, powdery snow. Very little traffic on the A22, probably no bad thing that the schools closed early today.

Not much of the high winds forecast and feels warmer than freezing. I anticipate that there will be a freeze tonight which, in theory, will provide good traction tomorrow.

Looks like it might be a goer. What's the riding going to be like? Don't fancy riding on ice, I don't have nails in my tyres

Right guys i'm gonna bail on this :(

Really don't fancy riding 60 miles in slush, or ice for that matter.

I'm off to the pub :D

Your flexible friend

Things still seem, pretty reasonable, I am going to make a quick test ride and report back. PyroTim is going to make a decision in the morning, as to whether to come along or not. Update in 30 minutes. :D

UPDATE - road wet, with some slush around the crown and 2" fresh powder to the side. Braking with caution ok, able to get traction on moderate uphill section on fresh snow. Passed across a skittery bit where the kids have been sledging, didn't feed that brilliant, but that would have been white ice. :eek:

SUGGESTION - Thanks to Whatleymeister, suggests a revised 11am start to give more time for people to journey in and for a little more warmth. The route is not set in stone, and if cycle paths are poor riding, we can switch to a road based route. If conditions are very poor, we can terminate at Greenwich and train or ride back to the starting point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back