How do you choose a new road bike?

daj":2y1dnmjd said:
I spent quite a wack in the summer buying a new road bike , To be honest I found the whole thing quite a ordeal !!! :shock: Mainly because the shops never actually stocked what i wanted they always needed to be ordered then they had no interest in getting them for you to just look at THEN they were always very reluctant to let you spin them round the carpark then in reality what good does that do you anyway. Dont get me started on sizing :LOL:

The best advice I got was for the money I was spending there is no rubbish bikes so pick the one you fancy, I didnt actually do that either I wanted di2 and went for a steed with good reputation & di2 helped along with a 1K price deduction!! :LOL:

All worked out love my Steed :cool:

I'm glad it's not just me then.

My LBS are as good as gold and I have known them all in there for years, the trouble is, they mainly stock Specialized, which I'm not that mad on. They could get me a Genesis, or a number of others, but then I am committed to buy a bike I am not even sure I will like.

I guess I have just not seen a bike I really like, although I was pretty struck by the Eddy Merckx range I saw at a shop in Taunton. I also like the look and spec of the Raleigh Militis, but they are not in the UK yet, and I would imagine that finding a dealer that has one in stock is going to be pretty difficult.

Then just to make life harder, Saarf has a couple really nice Colnago for sale.... :roll:

Buy with your heart not your head , I ride every weekend with our shop/club AND even worse I brought a brand that they stock but when I brought a whole bike for only £700 (di2 remember!) more than they sell frame/fork for I absolutely could not afford to stay loyal to the shop. Felt less guilty as the shop I did buy were not a chain shop.

Be sensible too and dont get talked into something thats not suitable to what you want :cool:

Maybe I just need to visit a few shops when I'm out and about... what a chore that will be ;)

I have also bought my ticket for Bespoke Bristol in April, so I may hang on a minute and see what I like there.

In the meantime, I'll just keep looking.

Back